Lufkin’s Bronson Massie Picks Up Offer From Colorado State
Lufkin 2016 defensive end/outside linebacker Bronson "Boom" Massie picked up his fourth Division I FBS offer from as many states when the Panthers' standout was made a target by Colorado State.
Massie (6-3, 202) tweeted of the offer early Friday afternoon.
All four of the Panthers' star pass rusher offers -- Louisiana Tech, Texas State, California, and Colorado State -- have come since Feb. 23.
Massie attended the 2014 ETSN.fm Football Recruiting Combine and multiple school-specific college camps last summer and surged into the new year with more private camps geared toward advancing to collegiate ranks.
He served on Lufkin’s defensive line last season and helped guide the team to a 6-5 record with an appearance in the Class 5A Division I bi-district round. He finished 2014 with 88 tackles (18 for loss) with 11 sacks and six forced fumbles, earning third-team honors on the ETSN.fm East Texas Football Super Team.
Massie is the only East Texas recruit in the 2016 class with an offer from Colorado State.
The Rams, who participate in the Mountain West Conference, are coached by Mike Bobo and finished the 2014 season 10-3 overall and 6-2 in league play. Colorado State wrapped up the year with a 45-10 loss to Utah in the Las Vegas Bowl on Dec. 20.
Massie stands out among the area’s defensive front players with a nice mix of size, speed and general athleticism. He’s quick and has a series of moves after the snap to confuse and peel off offensive linemen. The prospect ran a laser-timed 4.86 40-yard dash time in last year’s ETSN.fm Football Combine and made multiple highlight-reel plays in pursuit of the ball carrier from both the defensive end and outside linebacker spots during the season.
In addition to roles in the defensive front, Massie was one of the team’s bullets on kickoffs. He guarded against the middle running lane.
Massie, like all 2016 college football prospects, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him on Feb. 3, 2016.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Michigan, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (19)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Michigan, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (19)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (36)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Missouri, Texas State (2)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offer from Kansas (1)