Lufkin’s DeAndre Robertson the ETSN.fm + Dairy Queen Defensive Player of the Week
Lufkin's defense made quite the season-opening statement last Friday night at Abe Martin Stadium. The Panthers used a 16-sack effort to help turn the tide in their 52-28 victory over John Tyler.
And while several Panthers defenders stood out -- eight different players had at least one-half sack -- senior linebacker DeAndre Robertson led the way with 3.5 sacks to earn ETSN.fm Dairy Queen Defensive Player of the Week honors.
Robertson (5-10, 180) recorded his first sack of the night late in the first quarter with Lufkin trailing 21-14. He added a half-sack later in the possession with JT facing a first-and-10 from the Panthers' 25. The drive ended one play later on a Michael Farley interception that led to the game-tying score.
By the time Robertson collected his final two sacks of the night, Lufkin had built a 46-21 third-quarter lead.
In all, Lufkin forced 21 John Tyler plays to go for negative yardage, including a pair of safeties early in the third quarter that helped the Panthers score 18 points in the first 5:50 of the second half. And because of all the negative plays, John Tyler finished with only three rushing yards on 35 attempts.
Lufkin's Individual Sacks Vs. John Tyler
- LB DeAndre Robertson, Sr., 5-10, 180 -- 3.5
- DL Josh Driver, Jr., 6-1, 225 -- 2.5
- DL Darren Robins, Sr., 6-0, 190 -- 2.5
- DL Dayrien Driver, Sr., 6-0, 225 -- 2
- DL Eric Smallwood, Soph., 6-1, 220 -- 2
- DL Chris Lenoir, Jr., 6-0, 225 -- 1.5
- DL D.J. Williams, Sr., 6-4, 293 -- 1.5
- DL Tyrique Spencer, Jr., 6-2, 240 -- 0.5
ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen 2013 Defensive Players of the Week
- Zero Week -- DeAndre Robertson, Sr., LB, Lufkin