Lufkin’s Erik McCoy Picks Up Offer From New Mexico State
Lufkin offensive tackle Erik McCoy picked up his seventh college football option Wednesday during a call from Las Cruces, N.M.
The 6-4, 297-pound bookend announced New Mexico State is the latest school in on the chase for him via his Twitter account. He is being recruited by linebackers coach Zane Vance, the regional recruiter for the program.
McCoy helped the Panthers on their way to 414 yards of total offense in a 44-14 win against Longview. A victory which propelled Lufkin to the No. 5 spot in Associated Press' Class 5A state poll.
The tackle entered his senior season with offers from Kansas and Oklahoma State in addition to scholarship opportunities from Houston, North Texas, Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette.
The New Mexico State Aggies are off to a 1-0 start after a 28-10 win against Cal Poly in their season opener. They begin Sun Belt Conference play Saturday on the road at Georgia State before hopping back into non-conference play for games against UTEP, New Mexico and LSU in consecutive weeks.
New Mexico State is coached by Doug Martin. He's in the second year of a fairly significant rebuilding project in Las Cruces after spending the 2012 season as Boston College's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.
This is Martin's second stint as an Aggie. He was so well-liked after one season as New Mexico State's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2011 -- helping to guide the team to a 4-9 season with signature wins against Minnesota, Fresno State and New Mexico -- the team brought him back after former headman DeWayne Walker left the program for the Jacksonville Jaguars' defensive backs coach position.
Martin was the head coach at Kent State from 2004 through 2010.
McCoy would have quite a few opportunities to see the country if he joins the Aggies' program. New Mexico State has agreed to games at Florida, at Ole Miss and at Boston College in 2015 with other marquee games against Arizona State, Minnesota and San Diego State set up over the following three seasons.
The Aggies are the third team from the Sun Belt Conference to offer the Lufkin standout. Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette struck beforehand.
Texas State, Louisiana-Monroe and Arkansas-Little Rock are other regional teams from the conference that could move into action for McCoy's services, especially if the Panthers continue to roll over opponents.
McCoy and his Lufkin teammates will host Tyler Lee on Friday at Abe Martin Stadium.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jarion Anderson, WR, Texas High, 5-11, 165 – committed to Tulsa (1)
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- William Brown, DL, Texas High, 6-3, 259 – offers from Arkansas State, Texas State (2)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (14)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from Louisiana Tech (2)
- Nick Cain, ATH, John Tyler, 5-10, 165 — offer from ULM (1)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Louisville, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Tulsa (5)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 230 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-0, 178 – committed to ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-3, 175 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – committed to TCU; additional offers from North Texas, Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, Tulsa, UTSA (7)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Tyrone Hunt, DE, Arp, 6-4, 230 – committed to UTSA (1)
- Marcalas Johnson, Arp, 5-10, 181 – offer from Colorado State (1)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 6-0, 177 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (38)
- Blake Lynch, ATH, Gilmer, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 330 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas, New Mexico State, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (7)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – committed to North Texas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas State, Memphis, Nevada, Oregon State, Texas State, ULM, UTEP, UTSA (11)
- Chett Munden, OL, Marshall, 6-6, 303 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-2, 178 — offers from Houston, Memphis, Texas State (3)
- Chris Spikes, WR, Jasper, 6-3, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-3, 211 – committed to Tulsa; additional offers from Navy, New Mexico, Rice, Toledo, ULM (6)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Isaac Warren, DB, John Tyler, 6-1, 189 — committed to Purdue; additional offers from Arizona State, UTEP (3)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (7)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-6, 274 — offer from SMU (1)