Lufkin’s Jeremiah Davis Commits To Louisiana-Lafayette Immediately After Receiving Offer
It didn't take long for Jeremiah Davis to make his college decision once the right school entered the mix.
The senior Lufkin cornerback and receiver announced Thursday his first NCAA Division I FBS scholarship opportunity from Louisiana-Lafayette via Twitter and pledged to the Ragin' Cajuns in the same 140 characters.
Davis (5-10, 194) also owned an FCS offer from Texas Southern and an NCAA Division II invite from Arkansas-Monticello. FCS competitor Prairie View A&M reached out to Davis after his pledge to the Ragin' Cajuns.
ULL's latest commitment, the school's third as it builds up its 2018 class, won Defensive Back MVP at last week's ETSN Combine at APEC in Tyler. He clocked a laser-timed 40-yard dash of 4.55 seconds, put up eight bench press reps of 185 pounds and recorded the third-best power squat in his position group.
Davis was not the only Lufkin defensive back to gain a college's attention Thursday. Senior safety Savon Fields became a Division I prospect thanks to an offer from Abilene Christian.
Lufkin's defense averaged 35.5 points against last season in a run that ended with a one-point loss to John Tyler in the bi-district round of the Class 6A Division II state playoffs. Part of the issue was the explosive nature of Lufkin's offense, which kept the defenders on the field for extended periods of time as it worked toward a final average of 43.9 points per game.
The Ragin' Cajuns posted a 6-6 regular season record last year and made a fifth trip to the New Orleans Bowl in six seasons. ULL was tasked with maintaining an unbeaten streak in that particular bowl game through the six-year stretch and finally slipped against Southern Miss.
Officially, however, the Ragin' Cajuns have only made three New Orleans Bowl appearances in the six years. Wins in 2011 and 2013 were vacated for NCAA rules violations.
ULL struck out within the region last season, but it hauled in Jasper tight end Cody Mitchell and Newton linebacker Tanner Holmes in its 2016 class. Only Holmes is still on the roster, and he'll be a redshirt freshman this season.
Davis will first become eligible to sign with ULL or any other school that offers him in December. His commitment is non-binding prior to that month.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-2, 211 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (7)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Georgia State, Houston, Iowa State, New Mexico, North Texas, Rutgers, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Tulane, ULL, Virginia (17)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offers from Arkansas State, Army, Memphis, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (13)
- Drake Centers, Tatum, OL, 6-3, 296 — offers from SMU, Texas State (2)
- Kylar Cooks, Liberty-Eylau, OL, 6-5, 252 — offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, Texas State, ULL (4)
- Jeremiah Davis, Lufkin, CB, 5-10, 194 — committed to ULL (1)
- Kris Dike, Van, OL, 6-6, 283 — offers from Colorado, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Tulane (8)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-2, 209 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Mississippi State, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offers from Florida Atlantic, New Mexico State, Tulane, ULL, ULM (5)
- Conner Henson, Harmony, OL, 6-3, 243 — offers from ULL, ULM (2)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, OL, 6-3, 353 — committed to LSU; additional offers from Arizona, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Rice, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech (16)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — committed to Kansas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Southern Miss, Tulsa (14)
- Dewaylon Ingram, Carthage, WR, 6-0, 160 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Florida State, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, UTSA (27)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 163 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Texas State (3)
- Kameron King, Marshall, OL, 6-2, 275 — offers from Memphis, North Texas, Tulane, ULM (4)
- Trevor Lawrence, Whitehouse, DE, 6-4, 245 — offer from ULM (1)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, S, 6-4, 196 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, TCU, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (30)
- Leonard Parks, Texas High, DE, 6-5, 230 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jonathan Shepherd, Kilgore, WR, 6-3, 196 — offers from Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Kansas State, ULM, Missouri, New Mexico, Memphis, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech (15)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — committed to Washington State; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, Memphis, New Mexico, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (13)