Lufkin’s Jerrod Johnson Receives First Offer From ULM
One day after becoming the first Division I FBS school to offer a 2016 East Texas offensive lineman, ULM did it again by extending an offer to Lufkin's Jerrod Johnson.
The Panthers' standout up front (6-2, 290) confirmed his first offer via Twitter, late Sunday afternoon. John Tyler OL Adrian Harris also reported his first offer from ULM on Saturday.
Johnson became the 22nd recruit in East Texas' 2016 recruiting class to pick up at least one FBS scholarship opportunity, and the fifth O-lineman, joining Mineola's Austin and Riley Anderson (both Texas A&M commits), Harris, and Chapel HIll's Jeremy West.
Overall, ULM has five offers out to East Texans in the 2016 cycle. In addition to Johnson and Harris, the Warhawks have offered Newton ATH Gabe Foster, Nacogdoches WR Alex Gregory, and Frankston WR Kendrick Rogers.
ULM has been fairly active in the East Texas area of late, signing four players in 2014 — Chapel Hill’s Wesley Thompson and Shaquille Warren, and Palestine’s Ben Luckett and Brian Thlang — and two more this past February — Canton’s Chandler Eiland and Samuel Miller.
The Warhawks compete in the Sun Belt Conference and are coached by Todd Berry. They were 4-8 overall and 3-5 in league play a season ago.
Johnson joins Lufkin 2016 DE/OLB Bronson "Boom" Massie as Panthers with Division I offers. That list may grow in the coming months as 2017 prospects Kordell Rogers and Dhailon Phillips could catch the attention of college recruiters.
Johnson recently competed at the third annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine in Tyler. He put up 11 bench press reps at 225 pounds, which was tied for fifth among offensive linemen at the May 10 event, which also featured 113 of East Texas' top 2016 and 2017 prospects.
Lufkin graduated a talented 2015 class that featured three FBS signees -- WR/ATH Keke Coutee (Texas Tech), WR Terry Mark (Houston), and OL Erik McCoy (Texas A&M). The Panthers finished 6-5 in 2014, dropping a 43-42 thriller to archrival Longivew in the bi-district round of the Class 5A Division I playoffs.
The Panthers open the 2015 season Aug. 28 at Longview.
Johnson, like all 2016 prospects, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers them on Feb. 3, 2016.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Gabe Foster, RB/DB, Newton, 6-3, 180 — offers from Purdue, ULM (2)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, SMU (3)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Alex Gregory, WR, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 175 —offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Adrian Harris, OL, John Tyler, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jerrod Johnson, OL, Lufkin, 6-2, 290 -- offer from ULM (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Houston, Navy (5)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Denzel Mims, WR, Daingerfield, 6-4, 180 – offers from Arkansas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (3)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (10)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 5-10, 180 — committed to Nebraska; additional offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nevada, Texas State (5)
- Jeremy West, OL/DL, Chapel Hill, 6-2, 297 — offer from ULL (1)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy (4)