Marshall’s Chasen Hines Offered By Southern Miss
Southern Miss has been actively recruiting the East Texas area of late, and yet another area prospect in the 2018 class, received an offer from the Golden Eagles on Thursday.
Marshall offensive lineman Chasen Hines announced via Twitter that Southern Miss became the 15th Division I FBS program to offer him.
Hines' 15 offers rank third among East Texas recruits in the '18 class, trailing only Arp's DeMarvion Overshown and Carthage's Keaontay Ingram.
Southern Miss, which also offered Texas High receiver Tevailance Hunt on Thursday, has extended invitations to three local standouts. Tyler Lee 2018 quarterback Chance Amie also holds a USM offer.
The Golden Eagles have also offered Pittsburg 2019 receiver Keontae Burns.
Southern Miss posted a 6-6 regular season record in 2016 — including a 4-4 mark in Conference USA play — and finished off the campaign with a win against Louisiana-Lafayette in the New Orleans Bowl.
Eleven of Southern Miss’ 13 games were televised.
Jay Hopson will be at the helm of the Golden Eagles program for a second season this fall. He posted a 32-17 record in three seasons with Alcorn State prior to moving to Hattiesburg, Miss.
Hines helped Marshall’s offense to 3,939 total yards in an 11-game 2016 season. As a sophomore, he was part of an offense that put up 5,401 total yards and drove the team to a third-round appearance in the Class 5A Division I state playoffs.
Marshall will be under new leadership in 2017 after head coach Clint Harper left to become the athletic director for Duncanville ISD last month after four years on the job. The Mavs have yet to hire Harper's replacement.
Hines, like all college football prospects currently in their junior year of high school, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offer from ULL, Mississippi State (3)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Florida, Colorado State, Iowa State, Southern Miss, Syracuse, ULL, Virginia (9)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offer from ULL (1)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-2, 215 — offers from Mississippi State, Texas State, ULL (3)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offer from ULL (1)
- Conner Henson, Harmony, OL, 6-4, 250 — offer from ULL (1)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, C, 6-3, 340 — offers from Arizona, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, LSU, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech (15)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Iowa State, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Nevada, North Texas, Southern Miss, Tulsa (9)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, UTSA (23)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 165 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, ATH, 6-4, 196 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (25)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — offer from ULL, Washington State (2)