Memphis Offers John Tyler’s Bryson Smith + Javontavius Mosley
The John Tyler junior duo of QB/ATH Bryson Smith and CB Javontavius Mosley are becoming quite popular during the current spring evaluation period.
Smith and Mosley each picked up a Division I FBS offer from Memphis on Monday, according to the John Tyler football program's official Twitter account.
Smith (6-0, 170) now holds 16 FBS offers, tying him with Henderson WR Trestan Ebner and Nacogdoches CB Josh Thompson for most among East Texans in the 2017 recruiting class.
Mosley (6-1, 170), who incidentally committed to UTSA on Monday, became the ninth player in the current cycle to reach double-digit number of FBS offers.
Memphis now has offered five soon-to-be seniors in East Texas -- Mosley, Smith, Tyler Bishop Gorman WR Judah Bell, Gilmer WR LaMarcus Morton, and Tyler Lee DB Makyle Sanders.
The Tigers program, which competes in the American Athletic Conference, will be led by new head coach Mike Norvell, who spent the previous few seasons as offensive coordinator at Arizona State under Todd Graham.
Norvell replaced Justin Fuente, the new head coach at Virginia Tech, following an undefeated run through the month of October with Memphis last year.
Memphis finished the season with a 9-4 record following a loss to Auburn in the Birmingham Bowl.
Smith threw for 2,416 yards and 20 touchdowns to six interceptions last year while simultaneously leading the team with 1,421 rushing yards and 21 scores. He started as a receiver his sophomore year.
Mosley recorded 60 tackles, two interceptions, broke up 12 passes and recovered a fumble in 2015.
The pair helped lead John Tyler to a District 16-5A championship and an 8-4 season record that ended with an area-round loss to eventual Class 5A Division I state finalist Mansfield Lake Ridge.
John Tyler will jump to Class 6A this fall due to a growing student population and will compete in District 11. Longview, Mesquite, Mesquite Horn, North Mesquite, Rockwall, Rockwall-Heath and Tyler Lee make up the league schedule.
Smith and Mosley, like all high school football prospects currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers on Feb. 1, 2017.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (12)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 — offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Tulsa (16)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offer from ULM (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (11)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — committed to UTSA; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (10)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Arkansas State, Texas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-2, 175 — offer from Memphis (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (16)
- D’Torian Smith, Tatum, LB, 6-3, 225 — offer from Air Force (1)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (12)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 182 — offered by Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Ohio, SMU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (16)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)