Mineola’s Austin + Riley Anderson Pick Up Offers From Cal And Texas
Mineola's Austin and Riley Anderson have picked up offers No. 25 and 26 apiece, and they came from the California Golden Bears and Texas Longhorns, the 2016 offensive linemen announced via Twitter on Friday.
The Anderson twins have all 26 of their Division I FBS scholarship opportunities since Feb. 3. The number of offers is second only to Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones, who leads East Texas with 38.
Texas, the fifth Big 12 program to offer the Andersons, also has offers out to Gilmer linebacker and Longhorns pledge Demarco Boyd as well as Jones.
Charlie Strong will be entering his second season in charge in Austin after he led Texas to a 6-7 overall record and 5-4 finish conference play in 2014. Texas dropped a 31-7 decision to Arkansas in the Texas Bowl on Dec. 29.
Cal is the second school from the Pac-12 to offer Austin Anderson (6-4, 289) and Riley Anderson (6-5, 287). They also hold offers from Arizona State. The Golden Bears also have offers out to Jones and Lufkin defensive end/outside linebacker Bronson Massie.
The Golden Bears, coached by Sonny Dykes, were 5-7 overall and 3-6 in conference play in 2014 -- that coming off a 1-11 campaign a year earlier. Cal has not qualified for a bowl game since 2011 and have not secured a bowl victory since 2008.
The Andersons were key components to a historic Mineola season in 2014. The Yellowjackets went 12-4 and reached the school’s first-ever state championship game, a 70-40 loss to Cameron Yoe in the Class 3A Division I final at AT&T Stadium in Arlington on Dec. 18.
A young offensive backfield amassed 4,465 rushing yards and 53 touchdowns in 16 games behind a line anchored by the twins.
The Andersons, like all 2016 prospects, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers them on Feb. 3, 2016.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (26)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (26)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offer from SMU (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Missouri, Texas State (2)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU (4)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offers from Colorado State, Kansas (2)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech (2)