Mineola’s Austin + Riley Anderson Pick Up Offers From North Texas
For the second time in the last week, Mineola's twin-brother offensive linemen Austin and Riley Anderson picked up Division I FBS offers from the same school.
Both 2016 prospects tweeted that they had received offers from North Texas on Sunday afternoon. It's been an active recruiting week for the Andersons, who now have a combined five scholarship offers since Tuesday.
Austin Anderson (6-4, 280) now has three offers -- North Texas, Northwestern and Tulsa. Riley Anderson (6-5, 285) has invitations from North Texas and Tulsa, as well.
The Andersons are coming off a fantastic junior campaign. They blocked for a group of exclusively underclassmen runners and helped the run-heavy Yellowjackets offense amass 4,465 rushing yards and 53 touchdowns in a 16-game season culminating with a Class 3A Division I state championship appearance.
Austin Anderson (6-4, 280) was named to the 2014 ETSN.fm East Texas Football Super Team’s first team with a 96 percent grade and 118 pancakes. Riley Anderson (6-5, 285) won second team honors with a 91 percent grade and 96 pancakes.
North Texas has been extremely active in East Texas of late. The Mean Green signed three players from the region last week -- John Tyler receiver Rodney Bendy, Whitehouse defensive back Nate Brooks, and Marshall offensive lineman Chett Munden. Former Pine Tree quarterback Caleb Chumley, who graduated in 2013, grayshirted and is now officially a scholarship member of the program.
UNT also signed four East Texans in 2014 -- Elkhart running back Jeffery Wilson, Carthage receivers Tee Goree and O'Keeron Rutherford, and Sulphur Springs running back Willy Ivery.
North Texas, under head coach Dan McCarney, is coming off a disappointing 2014 season. The Mean Green finished 4-8 overall and 2-6 in Conference USA.
Mineola will be a team to watch next season. Graduation will hit its outstanding defensive front hard, but the team returns virtually all its offensive skill players and its secondary in addition to the Anderson twins.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 280 – offers from North Texas, Northwestern, Tulsa (3)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 285 – offer from North Texas, Tulsa (2)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, USC, Washington State (34)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 275 – offers from Air Force, Navy (2)
- Corey Lane, S, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)