Mississippi State Offers Gilmer Junior Kris Boyd, Who’s Visiting Texas A&M This Weekend
Recruiting was already a hot topic for Gilmer’s Kris Boyd, but it appears to really be picking up during the spring semester of his junior year.
Only two days after receiving his first Pac-12 offer from California, Boyd picked up his second SEC offer from Mississippi State, he announced via Twitter. InsideTexas.com first reported the offer.
Boyd now holds eight offers: Arkansas, Baylor, California, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, and Texas Tech.
A ninth offer during the next couple of days won’t be surprising considering that Boyd is taking a junior day visit to Texas A&M. Gilmer senior linebacker Josh Walker, who is committed to the Aggies, is taking his official visit.
Boyd, a 6-foot, 175-pounder, led Gilmer in rushing each of the last two seasons, but will likely play cornerback in college. Boyd finished the 2013 season with 1,191 rushing yards and 19 touchdowns on the ground, averaging 10.5 yards per carry. He was also dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield, grabbing 22 passes for 333 yards and four touchdowns. Defensively, he collected 26 tackles, two forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery.
As a sophomore in 2012, Boyd burst onto the East Texas scene with 1,276 rushing yards and 19 touchdowns, while catching 20 passes for 226 yards and two scores. He added 18 tackles, one forced fumble, and three pass breakups from his spot in the secondary.
Boyd is the second player in East Texas’ 2015 class to receive a Mississippi State offer. Troup quarterback/athlete Blake Lynch (6-3, 193) also has an MSU offer, but is committed to Baylor.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 175 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (8)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; offers from Baylor, Florida State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (9)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (7)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (16)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offer from Houston (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (9)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)