Missouri Offers Newton’s James Sylvester
There are fewer recruits in East Texas that have been as busy of late as Newton 2020 defensive end James Sylvester, who added yet another Division I FBS scholarship offer on Thursday,
Sylvester (6-4, 215) reported via Twitter that Missouri has offered.
The Eagles' standout also holds offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU, and Texas A&M.
Last season, Sylvester was second on the team in sacks, recording eight. He also had 82 total tackles, including eight for loss. He was a part of a Newton defensive team that allowed just 9.6 points per contest and won the Class 3A Division II state championship in 2017.
Missouri is coached by Barry Odom. The Tigers were 7-6 overall and 4-4 in the SEC last season.
Sylvester, like all sophomores, is first eligible to sign with any team that offers him beginning in December 2019.
2020 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas (6)
- JJ Green, Marshall, QB, 6-2, 165 -- offer from Nebraska, Ole Miss (2)
- Khalan Griffin, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 180 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Herbert Gums, Diboll, RB, 6-1, 228 -- offer from Houston (1)
- Tren Jones, Arp, ATH, 6-0, 170 — offer from Baylor (1)
- Devon King, Gilmer, OL, 6-3, 320 -- offer from Texas State (1)
- Haynes King, Longview, QB, 6-2, 170 -- offers from Houston, Louisiana Tech, ULM (3)
- Ja’Lynn Polk, Lufkin, WR, 6-2, 170 — offer from Illinois (1)
- James Sylvester, Newton, DE, 6-4, 215 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas A&M (8)
- Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin, S, 6-0, 170 -- offers from Arkansas, South Florida (2)
- Savion Williams, Marshall, WR, 6-3, 165 -- offer from Bowling Green (1)