Nacogdoches’ Alex Gregory Receives Offer From Texas State
It gets better and better for Nacogdoches receiver Alex Gregory.
The rising senior announced Wednesday via his personal Twitter account that Texas State became the latest school to award him a college football scholarship opportunity. It's his second offer in a 24-hour span and first from a school participating in the FBS category of Division I.
Gregory (5-11, 175) also owns invitations to Stephen F. Austin and McNeese State in addition to a Division II offer from Northeastern State in Oklahoma.
All four choices arrived after a strong performance at the ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine last week in Tyler. The invitation-only event, presented by Azalea Orthopedics, drew 113 of the best players in East Texas.
Gregory posted a laser-timed 4.52 40-yard dash, which made him second among 24 receivers and third overall at the combine. He also recorded a 114-inch broad jump and 34.3-inch vertical jump.
The Bobcats' offer made him the second Nacogdoches player with an FBS opportunity. Teammate Brandon Jones, a safety, leads all East Texas high school players in the 2016 class with 38 unique choices within the highest level of college football.
Gregory was Nacogdoches' third-leading receiver last year with 660 yards in addition to six touchdowns and ranked first among the team's juniors.
Texas State has been bowl-eligible the past two years and has only been an FBS program since 2012. It is still seeking its first bowl game invitation, however.
Dennis Franchione will begin his fifth consecutive season in San Marcos this September. He previously led the program between 1990 and 1991, back when the university was known as Southwest Texas State.
Franchione also has led teams at New Mexico, TCU, Alabama and Texas A&M during his Division I head coaching career.
The Bobcats have three East Texas high school players on their current roster. They are former Tatum defensive back Kendall Bell, former Chapel Hill defensive lineman Kendall Beal and former Daingerfield defensive back David Mims II.
Texas State has four other offers out to uncommitted senior regional prospects. Those players are Lufkin defensive end Bronson Massie, Jasper tight end Cody Mitchell, Marshall defensive back Micahh Smith and Van running back Aphonso Thomas.
Gregoy, like all football prospects in the Class of 2016, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him on Feb. 3.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas (2)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Alex Gregory, WR, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 175 —offer from Texas State (1)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Houston, Navy (5)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Denzel Mims, WR, Daingerfield, 6-4, 180 – offers from Arkansas State, Texas Tech (2)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (10)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, Texas State (5)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy (4)