Nacogdoches’ Brandon Jones Offered By Tulsa + Mississippi State
Brandon Jones is just now finishing up his sophomore year of high school, but the Nacogdoches safety is already a household name in the world of recruiting.
He received his 22nd and 23rd Division I FBS offers Wednesday when the Tulsa Golden Hurricane and Mississippi State Bulldogs made the Dragons' playmaker a target, Jones announced via Twitter.
Jones (6-0, 190) still has plenty of time before making his college decision official, and by the time February of 2016 arrives, he could very well hold an offer from every major college football program in the country.
So far this week, Jones has received offers from Ohio State, Penn State, Stanford, Tulsa and Mississippi State.
Mississippi State has now offered five East Texans, four of which are in the 2015 class -- Gilmer cornerback Kris Boyd, Newton defensive back Roney Elam, Nacogdoches cornerback and Oklahoma State commit Jaylon Lane and Troup quarterback and Baylor pledge Blake Lynch.
The Bulldogs, who compete in the ultra-competitive West Division of the SEC, were 7-6 overall and 3-5 in conference play a season ago. Jones is now equipped with four offers from the SEC -- LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Texas A&M.
It's been a busy couple of days for Tulsa, which has offered five East Texas recruits since Tuesday.
The Golden Hurricane extended offers to Texas High running back Javon Thomas, Texas High receiver Jarion Anderson and New Boston athlete Jeff Gladney on Tuesday, and followed that up with offers to Jones and Lufkin athlete Key'Vantanie "KeKe" Coutee on Wednesday.
Tulsa, which will move to the American Athletic Conference this fall, went 3-9 overall and 2-6 in Conference USA play last season.
Jones will team with Jaylon Lane, 2015 cornerback Tay Forest and 2016 safety Corey Lane to form one of the very best secondaries in the state of Texas. Between those four DBs, there are 61 FBS offers. Jones recorded 95 tackles, five interceptions, one defensive touchdown and two special teams returns for scores in 2013. He was a ETSN.fm Football Super Team first-team selection after the stellar sophomore campaign.
Nacogdoches, which reached the playoffs last season for the first time since 2006, will be a member of the new District 16-5A this fall along with Corsicana, Ennis, Jacksonville, John Tyler, Lindale, Lufkin and Whitehouse.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Travon Fuller, ATH, Athens, 6-0, 160 – offer from Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, Stanford, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Washington State (23)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 275 – offers from Air Force, Navy (2)
- Corey Lane, S, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)