Nacogdoches’ Brandon Jones Picks Up Offers From Alabama, Kentucky + Tennessee
It was quite the day for Nacogdoches 2016 safety Brandon Jones, who received three Division I FBS offers from the SEC on Friday.
Jones (6-0, 190), one of the nation's top recruits, now has 26 FBS offers after Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee all offered the Dragons' playmaking defensive back. Jones announced the trio of offers on Twitter.
Seven SEC schools have now offered Jones -- Alabama, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Texas A&M.
Jones' size, speed, strength and on-field awareness make him an attractive target of major college programs.
Alabama, which has been college football's preeminent program over the last six years, has offered three East Texans in the 2015 recruiting class -- Gilmer athlete Kris Boyd, Newton defensive back Roney Elam and Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack.
The Crimson Tide has posted a 72-9 record since 2008 with three BCS national championships. Alabama was 11-2 last season and played in its fifth BCS bowl game in the last six seasons.
Kentucky, which has also offered Nacogdoches 2015 cornerback and Oklahoma State commit Jaylon Lane, struggled through a winless SEC campaign in 2013 and finished 2-10 overall.
Tennessee, once a perennial contender in the SEC, has fallen on hard times of late. The Vols were 5-7 overall and 2-6 in conference play last year, making it the third consecutive season without a bowl appearance. Tennessee has also offered Lane, Jones' defensive backfield mate.
Jones enjoyed a breakout 2013 season as a sophomore, finishing with 95 tackles, five interceptions, one defensive touchdown and two special teams returns for scores in helping Nacogdoches to its first playoff berth since 2006.
The Dragons will compete in the new District 16-5A this fall along with Corsicana, Ennis, Jacksonville, John Tyler, Lindale, Lufkin and Whitehouse.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Travon Fuller, ATH, Athens, 6-0, 160 – offer from Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Washington State (26)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 275 – offers from Air Force, Navy (2)
- Corey Lane, S, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)