Nacogdoches Defensive Back Josh Thompson Picks Up Offer From Ohio Bobcats
Josh Thompson is climbing the chart among junior East Texas football players with college aspirations.
Ohio University extended a college football scholarship opportunity the Nacogdoches defensive back's way Monday to become the fifth FBS school in the chase. Thompson (6-0, 180) announced the news through his personal Twitter account.
The Bobcats, guided by Frank Solich into his 12th season in Athens, Ohio, are the first Mid-American Conference program to reach out to the prospect and the third out-of-state school in the mix.
Thompson's other FBS offers are from Louisiana Tech, SMU, Tulane and UTSA.
Solich's name might ring a bell even for those not overly familiar with Ohio. He led Nebraska to two BCS bowl games and a 58-19 record between 1998 and 2003.
Nebraska's 1999 team finished third in the final Associated Press poll, a career highlight, and the 2001 team went to the national championship game ahead of being beaten by Miami for an eighth-place finish in the poll.
All of Solich's Nebraska squads reached bowl games and only one finished a campaign unranked.
Solich strung together five straight bowl seasons for the Bobcats from 2009 through 2013. More than that, seven of nine bowl appearances in school history were overseen by the current coach.
Ohio is coming off an 8-4 regular season, including a 5-3 mark in MAC play, before falling to Appalachian State in the Camellia Bowl.
Thompson recorded nine pass breakups, intercepted a pass and recorded 33 tackles through Nacogdoches’ 10-game season last fall. He also caught 10 passes for 152 yards as a receiver.
Thompson is the the fourth Nacogdoches defensive back in a three-year span to have an opportunity to play college football.
Jaylon Lane started the trend as the local Class of 2015's scholarship leader before an off-the-field incident led him to junior college. He is expected to be on UTSA's roster this season.
Brandon Jones and Corey Lane signed with Texas and Navarro College, respectively, earlier this year. Both will graduate high school in May and immediately report to their new programs.
Thompson, like all high school football players currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, Kansas, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, UTSA (8)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, North Texas, Syracuse (6)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (6)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from SMU, Tulane, ULL (3)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Tulsa, ULL, ULM (4)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Houston, SMU, Texas State, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (9)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (9)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Louisiana Tech, Ohio, SMU, Tulane, UTSA (5)