Nacogdoches’ Jaylon Lane and Brandon Jones Pick Up a New Offer Each
Sunday was a good day for Nacogdoches’ Jaylon Lane.
Not only did the 6-2, 185-pound cornerback pick up a new scholarship offer from Houston, he won the defensive back MVP award at the Rivals.com Camp in the Bayou City. All on the heels of committing to Mississippi on Friday.
He’s beginning to get his wish for more scholarship offers, but Lane maintains his commitment to Ole Miss is solid. He plans to visit Oxford, Miss., in April for one of the Rebels’ spring football events and will bring Brandon Jones along.
Speaking of Jones, the 2016 safety from Nacogdoches picked up his seventh scholarship offer Sunday from Oklahoma State.
Both Houston and the Cowboys had good 2013 seasons.
Oklahoma State went to the Cotton Bowl after just barely falling to Oklahoma in the regular season finale with the Big 12 Championship on the line. The Cougars finished their year 8-5 with a berth in the BBVA Compass Bowl against a good Vanderbilt program.
Lane is the fifth East Texan in the Class of 2015 with a Houston scholarship opportunity. In addition to being committed to Ole Miss, he has other offers from Louisiana Tech and South Alabama.
The corner told ETSN.fm last week he was anticipating an offer from Houston at some point this spring. He also mentioned Texas Tech as a school that could be close to offering a scholarship, and a handful of other programs had asked for his transcripts.
He’s a tall, rangy cornerback who dominated at Central High School in San Angelo as a junior. Now at Nacogdoches, where he grew up and began his football career, he’ll likely work with Jones in the defensive backfield.
Lane recorded five interceptions, two of those interceptions for pick sixes, as well as 46 tackles at San Angelo Central last season. He also averaged 48 yards per kickoff return with a 108-yard touchdown.
Jones has other offers from Baylor, Florida State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (7)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 175 — committed to Ole Miss; additional offers from Houston, Louisiana Tech, South Alabama (4)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offer from Houston (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)