Nacogdoches’ Jaylon Lane Now With 12 Offers After Hearing From Arkansas State, Utah State + Kentucky
[UPDATED: 11:50 p.m., CST]
The schools keeping calling Nacogdoches 2015 cornerback Jaylon Lane, who picked up offers from Arkansas State, Utah State and Kentucky on Tuesday, according to his Twitter profile.
The former Ole Miss pledge, who reopened his commitment last Thursday, has 12 offers, which is one more than Whitehouse safety and Texas A&M commit Justin Dunning for second-most among East Texas recruits in the 2015 class. Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack -- another Aggies commit -- leads the area with 21.
Lane (6-2, 175) did not receive his first offer until Feb. 24, which roughly equates into an offer every third day. He has six offers since Friday, and ironically only two of his offers are from programs in Texas -- Houston and Texas State.
Arkansas State, which has also offered Lufkin 2015 offensive lineman Erik McCoy, competes in the Sun Belt Conference. The Red Wolves went 8-5 last season (5-2 in conference) and earned a 23-20 win over Ball State in the GoDaddy Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Jan. 5.
Utah State is a member of the Mountain West Conference and was 9-5 in 2013 (7-1 in conference) and picked up a 21-14 win over Northern Illinois in the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego last December.
Kentucky competes in the SEC East and represents the 39th unique program to offer an East Texas recruit in the 2015 class. The Wildcats went 2-10 and 0-8 in conference play a season ago. Lane now has two offers from the SEC.
Lane recently transferred back to Nacogdoches after spending the last two seasons at Central High School in San Angelo. He had five interceptions, made 46 tackles and averaged almost 46 yards on five kickoff returns with a 108-yarder for a touchdown as a junior.
He will team with safety Brandon Jones, widely considered one of the best 2016 prospects in all of Texas, this fall to give Nacogdoches one of the area's strongest secondaries and most explosive special teams units. Jones, in addition to his 95 tackles and five interceptions, returned both a kick and punt for touchdowns as a sophomore.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas State, Boise State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, South Alabama, Texas State, Utah State, Washington State (12)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)