Nacogdoches’ Jaylon Lane Picks Up Louisville Offer
Louisville is trying to make some noise after losing Charlie Strong to Texas and replacing him with once and current head coach Bobby Petrino.
Maybe Jaylon Lane could give the Cardinals a spark. It's an option now as increasingly recruited Nacogdoches cornerback Jaylon Lane picked up an offer from Petrino's staff.
Lane reported his ninth scholarship via Twitter on Monday.
The Cardinals join Houston, Texas State, Boise State, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi, Oklahoma State, South Alabama and Washington State in the chase for the 6-2, 185-pound defensive back.
The latest offer makes Lane the fourth-most recruited player in East Texas' 2015 class. Only Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack (21), Whitehouse safety Justin Dunning (11) and Gilmer athlete Kris Boyd (10) currently have more standing offers.
Louisville is the 37th unique program to offer a rising East Texas senior.
Lane was briefly committed to Ole Miss, which he chose in favor of offers from Louisiana Tech and South Alabama, but decided to reopen his recruitment last week when he realized more schools wanted to talk to him.
He had no offers prior to Feb. 24.
The Rebels are still a contender, according to Lane.
Louisville has been a high-profile team in recent years with two BCS bowl game appearances. The program will join the Atlantic Coast Conference in time for the 2014 season.
The Cardinals were the No. 1 FBS team in total yardage given up last season, the No. 5 team in red zone defense and the No. 5 defense against the pass.
Lane, originally from Nacogdoches, transferred to Nacogdoches High School in a move with his family. He spent the previous two seasons at Central High School in San Angelo where he recorded five interceptions, 46 tackles and averaged 48 yards on five kickoff returns as a junior.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 175 — offers from Boise State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, South Alabama, Texas State, Washington State (9)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)