Nacogdoches’ Josh Thompson Commits to TCU
It's been quite the few days for the TCU football program and the East Texas 2017 recruiting class.
The Horned Frogs picked up their third commitment from an area player since Wednesday when Nacogdoches' Josh Thompson pledged to TCU, he announced via Twitter on Sunday evening.
Thompson (6-0, 182) became the 11th East Texas prospect in the current recruiting cycle to offer up their verbal commitment.
The Dragons' standout defensive back joined fellow Horned Frogs commits Henderson ATH's Trestan Ebner and Lakendrick VanZandt, who pledged to TCU on Wednesday.
Thompson currently holds Division I FBS offers from 23 programs, several of which have come in the last three weeks. He visited the TCU campus on Sunday afternoon, and also visited Houston over the weekend.
TCU has become a national power under head coach Gary Patterson, who's led the program since 2000. The Horned Frogs, after capturing a Rose Bowl win following the 2010 season, moved to the Big 12 Conference.
The Frogs shared the league title with Baylor in 2014, and defeated Ole Miss, 42-3, in the Peach Bowl -- one of the "New Year's Six" bowls games. TCU came from behind to defeat Oregon, 47-41, in triple overtime in the Alamo Bowl this past January.
Patterson is 143-47 as head coach at TCU, including a 9-5 record in bowl games.
Thompson competed at the fourth annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine in Tyler on May 22, and came away with Defensive MVP honors.
Highlights included recording a 4.48-second, laser-timed 40-yard dash and a 36-inch vertical jump.
Thompson recorded nine pass breakups, intercepted a pass and recorded 33 tackles through Nacogdoches’ 10 games last season. He also caught 10 passes for 152 yards as a receiver.
Nacogodches finished its year in a three-team tie for the fourth and final spot out of District 16-5A with Lindale and Corsicana. Lindale advanced to the playoffs by nature of its head-to-head point differential against Nacogdoches and Corsicana.
Thompson, like all class of 2017 high school football prospects, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tristan Allen, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 206 — offer from UTEP (1)
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (13)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-1, 216 — offers from Air Force, Army (2)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Terrell Cooper, Lindale, DE, 6-3, 240 — offer from Memphis (1)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, Texas A&M, Tulsa (18)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offers from ULM, Wyoming (2)
- Tre Gatlin, Carthage, DE, 6-6, 210 —offer from Wyoming (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offers from Louisiana Tech, ULM, UTSA (3)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-10, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (7)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, New Mexico State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (13)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — committed to UTSA; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (10)
- Cade Pearson, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 193 — offers from North Texas, Wyoming (2)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Arkansas State, Texas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-1, 177 — offers from Memphis, Navy (2)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (16)
- D’Torian Smith, Tatum, LB, 6-3, 225 — offers from Air Force, ULM, UTEP (3)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, Texas Tech (13)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 182 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Houston, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, Missouri, North Texas, Ohio, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (23)
- Lakendrick VanZandt, Henderson, S, 6-1, 196 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Tulane, Tulsa (8)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offer from ULM (1)