Nacogdoches’ Josh Thompson Offered By Tulane + UTSA
It was a busy day for Nacogdoches junior CB Josh Thompson, who picked up a pair of Division I FBS offers.
Thompson was offered by both Tulane and UTSA on Thursday, the Dragons' standout confirmed via Twitter.
The Nac prospect, who was previously offered by SMU, now holds three offers total.
Thompson (6-0, 180) recorded nine pass breakups, intercepted a pass and recorded 33 tackles through Nacogdoches’ 10-game season. He also caught 10 passes for 152 offensive yards.
The Dragons missed the postseason after finishing in a three-team tie for fourth place in District 16-5A with Lindale and Corsicana. Lindale won the league’s fourth and final playoff berth on tiebreakers.
Thompson became the fourth recruit in East Texas' 2017 class to pick up an offer from Tulane, joining Hooks WR/DB Montrell Estell, Arp ATH Kayce Medlock, and John Tyler QB/ATH Bryson Smith.
UTSA, meanwhile, has four offers to East Texans -- Thompson, Tyler Bishop Gorman WR Judah Bell, John Tyler CB Javontavius Mosley, and Smith.
Tulane is a member of the American Athletic Conference, and recently hired Willie Fritz as its new head coach. Fritz spent the previous two seasons as the head coach at Georgia Southern, which came after a successful four-year stint at Sam Houston State that included a pair of national championship game appearances.
The Green Wave was 3-9 overall and 1-7 in conference play in 2015.
UTSA is also under new leadership. The Roadrunners hired Frank Wilson to replace the school’s first-ever coach Larry Coker. Wilson has spent time as an assistant at LSU, Southern Miss, and Tennessee during his 20-year career.
Last season, UTSA finished 3-9 overall and 3-5 in Conference USA.
Thompson, like all high school football players currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him next February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, Kansas, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, UTSA (8)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, North Texas, Syracuse (6)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (6)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from SMU, Tulane, ULL (3)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Tulsa, ULL, ULM (4)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Houston, SMU, Texas State, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (9)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (9)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by SMU, Tulane, UTSA (3)