Nacogdoches Safety Brandon Jones Picks Up Georgia Offer
[Updated 3:30 p.m., Oct. 3 CDT]
An injury has not slowed down Brandon Jones rise as one of the nation's most sought after Class of 2016 prospects.
The junior safety announced Wednesday via his personal Twitter account he has picked up an offer from Mark Richt's Georgia football program. It's his 31st FBS scholarship opportunity and the first since he sustained a torn Posterior Cruciate Ligament in his knee last month in a game against Carthage.
Jones (5-10, 185) and fellow Dragons secondary member Jaylon Lane, a senior Oklahoma State commitment, now have a combined 69 FBS offer. Junior safety Corey Lane has an offer to Louisiana Tech to up the secondary's total to 70 various and frequently matching opportunities.
The injured star now has nine SEC offers with more than a year remaining in his recruitment window. He has 26 invitations from colleges participating in major college football conferences. Notre Dame also has a scholarship for Jones.
Georgia, the No. 13 in the latest Associated Press poll, is currently 3-1 and 1-1 in the SEC. It will face Vanderbilt on Saturday.
The Bulldogs program reached three BCS bowls during the BCS era and has competed in seven SEC Championship games as the winner of the SEC's East Division in Richt's 13-year tenure.
Jones has three tackles, two pass breakups and a forced fumble in three games.
Nacogdoches has performed well despite Jones' setback. The team edged Lufkin last week to start the year 4-0 and 1-0 in District 16-5A. Jaylon Lane moved from cornerback to safety.
The Dragons will visit Ennis (2-2, 1-0) on Friday in the ETSN.fm/Dairy Queen Game of the Week.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Travon Fuller, ATH, Athens, 6-0, 160 – committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, USC, Washington State (31)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 275 – offers from Air Force, Navy (2)
- Corey Lane, S, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)