Nebraska Offers Arp’s DeMarvion Overshown
DeMarvion Overshown added to his local scholarship lead Thursday with an offer from Nebraska.
The Arp safety, who reported the news to ETSN.fm, now has 25 different schools to choose from. Of those, Nebraska is just the second Big Ten Conference team to make a move and follows Ohio State.
Arp reached the Class 3A Division II state semifinals last season after mild upsets of Newton and Crockett in back-to-back weeks at the regional level of the state playoffs. Overshown recorded 173 tackles and four total takeaways in the 15-game campaign and also caught four balls for 121 yards as a receiver.
Don't be surprised to see Overshown in new roles as a senior. Arp will lose universal athlete Kayce Medlock to SMU in May.
Nebraska had an impressive 2016 season. It rolled to a 7-0 record and rose as high as seventh in the AP Poll before hitting the skids.
The Cornhuskers ran into then-No. 11 Wisconsin and then-No. 6 Ohio State in back-to-back road games and dropped both. Nebraska recovered with two wins afterward for a 9-2 record, but it lost its Big Ten finale to Iowa and then fell to Tennessee in the Music Bowl.
Head coach Mike Riley will be back in Lincoln, Neb., for a third season this fall. He has a 15-11 record with the Cornhuskers and previously led Oregon State to a 93-80 record through 14 seasons.
Oregon State is a sub-.500 program all-time.
Nebraska claims five national championships, 46 conference titles, has been home to three Heisman Trophy winners and has produced 54 consensus All-Americans in its 126-year history.
Overshown, like all college football prospects currently in their junior year of high school, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February of 2018.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offer from Mississippi State (2)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Bowling Green, Iowa State, Syracuse, ULL, Virginia (5)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offer from ULL (1)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-0, 215 — offer from Mississippi State (1)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offer from ULL (1)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, C, 6-3, 340 — offers from Baylor, Louisiana Tech, LSU, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Louisiana Tech (3)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, UTSA (21)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 165 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, ATH, 6-4, 196 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (25)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — offer from ULL (1)