Nebraska Offers Newton’s Roney Elam
Netwon's Roney Elam has something new to think about in his college decision with Nebraska offering the 6-2, 175-pound safety Monday.
The Huskers' scholarship opportunity marks the ninth Division I college choice and arrived more than a month after the safety's eighth offer came from Oklahoma on March 7.
Nebraska's scholarship gives Elam one college choice in the Big Ten on top of four offers from the Big 12 and four more from the SEC. The university also has a standing invitation out for Troup athlete and Baylor commitment Blake Lynch.
The "blackshirts" led the 2013 Huskers football team to a 9-4 record and a top 25 finish with the No. 40 overall defense in the country, highlighted by a Gator Bowl win against Georgia.
Elam played both ways for Netwon last season. He passed for 939 passing yards and 11 touchdowns and ran for 437 yards and five touchdowns while intercepting five passes and forcing one fumble on defense. His team went 12-1 and advanced to the Class 2A Division I regional semifinals.
Elam could become the third Newton recruit in the last three years to sign with a major Division I FBS program, joining 2013 Arkansas signee D.J. Dean and 2014 Texas signee Kevin Shorter.
The 2015 prospect has in-state offers from Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and his scholarship opportunities are rounded out with Alabama, LSU, Mississippi State and Oklahoma.
Elam jumped to local prominence on the recruiting scene in February with his first offer coming from LSU and four of his current offers coming in a three-day period.
Now with nine offers, the safety is the fifth-most recruited of 18 rising seniors in East Texas with Division I offers. Nacogdoches' Jaylon Lane leads the pack with 29 unique scholarship offers and is followed by Gladewater defensive tackle and Texas A&M commitment Daylon Mack (21), Whitehouse safety and Texas A&M commitment Justin Dunning (11), Gilmer athlete Kris Boyd (10) and Sulphur Springs safety and Texas A&M commitment Larry Pryor (10).
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois (1)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (29)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Oklahoma State, ULL (4)
- Samuel Miller, TE/DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offer from UTSA (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)