Nevada Offers Van’s Aphonso Thomas
Van running back Aphonso Thomas received his fifth Division I FBS offer when Nevada extended an invitation, the 2016 standout tweeted out on Sunday afternoon.
The Wolfpack became the fourth FBS program from outside the state of Texas to offer Thomas (5-10, 180), joining Colorado State, Kansas, and Nebraska. The only school within the Lone Star State to offer Thomas is Texas State.
Thomas recently competed at the third annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine in Tyler. He clocked a laser-timed 4.71-second 40-yard dash, put up 14 bench press reps at 185 pounds, recorded a broad jump of 110 inches, and went 33.4 inches on the vertical jump at the May 10 event, which featured 113 of the area's top prospects.
Nevada competes in the Mountain West Conference, where it finished the 2014 season 7-6 overall and 4-4 in league action. The Wolfpack's year concluded with a 16-3 loss to ULL in the New Orleans Bowl on Dec. 20.
Thomas is one of the few offensive standouts Van will return in 2015. Splitting time with senior Matt Savis -- a Southeastern Oklahoma State signee -- Thomas finished his junior season with 934 yards and 12 touchdowns on 106 carries.
The production helped Van enjoy an undefeated regular season, which ended with the Vandals reaching No. 7 in the state's Associated Press Class 4A poll. Van was eliminated with a 30-23 loss to Paris in the bi-district round of the playoffs.
Van opens the 2015 season Aug. 28 at home against Palestine.
Thomas, like all 2016 prospects, e will become eligible to sign with any program that offers them on Feb. 3, 2016.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas (2)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (4)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — offers from Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (9)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 — offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, Texas State (5)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy (4)