Newton’s James Sylvester Offered By Georgia
The ninth Division I FBS scholarship offer arrived Monday for Newton 2020 defensive end James Sylvester.
The Eagles' pass-rusher reported via Twitter that Georgia has offered.
Sylvester (6-4, 215) also holds offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU, and Texas A&M.
Last season, Sylvester was second on the team in sacks, recording eight. He also had 82 total tackles, including eight for loss. He was a part of a Newton defensive team that allowed just 9.6 points per contest and won the Class 3A Division II state championship in 2017.
Georgia was the nation's runner-up to Alabama in last year's College Football Playoff. The Bulldogs, who are coached by Kirby Smart, finished 2017 with an overall record of 13-2 and 7-1 in the SEC.
Sylvester, like all sophomores, is first eligible to sign with any team that offers him beginning in December 2019.
2020 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas (6)
- JJ Green, Marshall, QB, 6-2, 165 -- offer from Nebraska, Ole Miss (2)
- Khalan Griffin, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 180 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Herbert Gums, Diboll, RB, 6-1, 228 -- offer from Houston (1)
- Tren Jones, Arp, ATH, 6-0, 170 — offer from Baylor (1)
- Devon King, Gilmer, OL, 6-3, 320 -- offer from Texas State (1)
- Haynes King, Longview, QB, 6-2, 170 -- offers from Houston, Louisiana Tech, ULM (3)
- Ja’Lynn Polk, Lufkin, WR, 6-2, 170 — offer from Illinois (1)
- James Sylvester, Newton, DE, 6-4, 215 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Georgia, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas A&M (9)
- Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin, S, 6-0, 170 -- offers from Arkansas, South Florida (2)
- Savion Williams, Marshall, WR, 6-3, 165 -- offer from Bowling Green (1)