North Texas Offers Nacogdoches Defensive Back Josh Thompson
Another day, another offer for Josh Thompson.
North Texas helped Nacogdoches' key defensive back string together a third straight day with at least one new FBS scholarship opportunity. Thompson first shared the Mean Green's news via his Twitter account Wednesday.
In total, Thompson (6-0, 180) now has 14 FBS schools to choose from. Four of which have offered since Monday.
The back has an additional two choices from FCS schools.
North Texas is in a full-blown transition period with virtually an all-new coaching staff. However, the names on the staff aren't all that unfamiliar, particularly if you watched Texas Tech football under Mike Leach during the 2000s.
New head coach Seth Littrell was a running backs coach under Leach at Texas Tech. Offensive coordinator Graham Harrell -- who developed strong East Texas roots upon graduation -- simultaneously played quarterback for Leach while outside receivers coach Joel Filani was one of Harrell's biggest in-game targets.
Mean Green associate head coach and inside receivers coach Tommy Mainord also spent time at Texas Tech under Tommy Tuberville before moving on to Kentucky.
Running backs coach Tommy Perry, a Tyler Lee graduate, was the only coach from Dan McCarney's staff retained for Littrell's unit.
With McCarney guiding the program, North Texas was an aggressive player within the region. There was some fear the volume of opportunities the Mean Green gave out to the region would shrink when McCarney was terminated after an 0-5 start toward a 1-11 campaign last year.
Littrell and company answered by signing La'Darius Hamilton from Corrigan-Camden in February as well as extending or maintaining seven other offers to local players that pursued different opportunities.
Thompson marked the seventh prospect the Mean Green's new staff identified from the region as it works to create its 2017 signing class.
The defensive back recorded nine pass breakups, intercepted a pass and recorded 33 tackles through Nacogdoches’ 10-game season last fall. He also caught 10 passes for 152 yards as a receiver.
Nacogdoches finished its year in a three-team tie for the fourth and final playoff spot out of District 16-5A. Point differential against the other teams involved allowed Lindale to advance in favor of Nacogdoches and Corsicana.
Thompson is the fourth Nacogdoches defensive back in a three-year span to have an opportunity to play college football.
Jaylon Lane started the trend as the local Class of 2015’s scholarship leader before an off-the-field incident led him to junior college.
Brandon Jones and Corey Lane signed with Texas and Navarro College, respectively, earlier this year. Both will graduate high school in May and immediately report to their new programs.
Thompson, who will attend the ETSN + APEC Football Recruiting Combine on Sunday, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him on Feb. 1, 2017.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (12)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 — offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Tulsa (16)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offer from ULM (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Indiana, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (8)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (8)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, UTSA (12)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (12)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Arkansas State, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Ohio, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (14)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)