Oakwood Rides Six-Game Win Streak into Six-Man D-I Region IV Final Against Abbott
Six-Man Division I Region IV
Oakwood Panthers (9-2)
Abbott Panthers (10-2)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Black Cat Field, Mexia
Oakwood: Mike Heckathorn
Abbott: Terry Crawford
Road To Regionals
- Bi-district: def. Ladonia Fannindel, 110-65
- Regional semifinal: def. Buckholts, 83-71
- Bi-district: def. Coolidge, 66-0
- Regional semifinal: def. Leverett's Chapel, 62-16
Next week: Winner plays Santa Anna (11-1) or Gordon (9-3) in a Six-Man Division I state semifinal.
- Damiyne Durham
- Bryson Randle
- Louis Collins
- Mike Biedrzycki
- Robert Burden
- Tyler Russell, Sr.
- James Bartosh, Sr.
- Tanner Pope, Jr.
- Darren Popp, Jr.
- Pete Galvan, Sr.
Just the facts
- Oakwood gained 627 total yards in last week's 83-71 win vs. Buckholts.
- The Panthers rushed for 375 yards.
- Nine of Oakwood's 13 scoring plays covered 36 or more yards, according to the Temple Daily Telegram.
- Oakwood has won six consecutive games.
- Oakwood has scored 71 or more points in five of those six contests, including 83 last week and 110 in the first round of the playoffs.
- Abbott has won five consecutive games.
- Abbott has held those five opponents to 24 combined points and shut out three of them.
- Nine of Abbott's 12 opponents have scored 12 points or fewer.
Don't be surprised if: The contrast in styles makes for an exciting six-man contest. Oakwood enters Friday's game as the offense-oriented team averaging 78.7 points per game during a six-game winning streak. On the other sideline is an Abbott team that has dominated defensively. Abbott allows a stellar 16.3 points per game, which is extremely difficult to accomplish in the offense-friendly world of six-man football. This should be the classic strength vs. strength matchup.