Ohio State Becomes Offer No. 21 For Gladewater’s Daylon Mack
Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack, widely considered one of the state’s top two recruits in the 2015 class, keeps attracting big-time attention for major college programs.
Mack (6-1, 311) committed to Texas A&M last October, but that hasn’t stopped the nation’s elite college teams from going after arguably East Texas’ highest-rated recruit in almost a decade.
On Wednesday, Mack received his 21st offer when Ohio State came calling, according to Mack’s personal Twitter account.
Mack is the first area recruit in the 2015 class to receive an offer from Ohio State, which rarely focuses on the East Texas area. The Buckeyes offered just one East Texan in 2014 — Texas signee Kevin Shorter of Newton.
As a junior, Mack enjoyed great success on both sides of the ball. Defensively, he finished with 98 tackles, 35 for loss, five sacks, a region-leading eight forced fumbles, two recoveries and one blocked punt. During the Bears’ surprising four-round deep playoff run, Mack became a feature on offense at fullback. In a 34-33 area-round win over Atlanta, he ran for 178 yards and three touchdowns and finished 2013 with almost 300 yards and 10 TDs.
His play earned Mack a spot on the first team of the ETSN.fm 2013 East Texas Super Team a year after he was honored as ETSN.fm’s Defensive Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore.
Mack is a huge piece to Texas A&M’s impressive 2015 list of commitments, which includes two other East Texans — Sulphur Springs safety Larry Pryor and Whitehouse safety Justin Dunning.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Texas Tech (5)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (7)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 175 — offers from Louisiana Tech, South Alabama (2)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offer from Houston (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)