Oklahoma State First to Offer Newton’s Tamauzia Brown
Just a few weeks before beginning his junior year of high school, Newton WR/ATH Tamauzia Brown has officially drawn the attention of Division I football programs.
On Wednesday, Oklahoma State became the first FBS school to offer Brown, he announced via Twitter.
Blessed to receive my first offer from Oklahoma State University. pic.twitter.com/VosWPPTjUN
— Tamauzia Brown (@TamauziaB) August 2, 2017
Brown (6-1, 170) is the 10th member of East Texas’ 2019 recruiting class to pick up a Division I offer, and the first to be targeted by Oklahoma State.
As a sophomore, Brown was used in a variety of roles, but mostly at receiver and cornerback. But whichever position it was, he excelled.
In helping to lead Class 3A powerhouse Newton to a 13-1 record and spot in the Division II quarterfinals, Brown posted 1,203 total yards (673 rushing, 530 receiving) with 14 offensive touchdowns. He averaged a staggering 35.3 yards per catch in 2016.
Defensively, Brown finished with 46 tackles, five interceptions, and 11 pass break-ups.
Brown told ETSN.fm that Oklahoma State is recruiting him at receiver.
Newton is no stranger to producing future Division I players. The Eagles have had four FBS signees since 2013 — D.J. Dean (Arkansas), Kevin Shorter (Texas), Roney Elam (Texas A&M), and Tanner Holmes (Louisiana-Lafayette).
While Brown is Oklahoma State’s first 2019 East Texas target, the Cowboys have already secured a 2018 commitment from Kilgore receiver Jonathan Shepherd.
Oklahoma State will begin its 13th season under head coach Mike Gundy next month. The Cowboys finished 10-3 with a 38-8 rout of Colorado in the Alamo Bowl last season. It was OSU’s fifth season with 10 wins or more since 2010.
Brown, like all incoming juniors, will first become eligible to sign with any Division I program that offers him in December of 2018.
2019 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jade Ashalintubbi, Elysian Fields, OL, 6-6, 331 —offers from Tulsa, ULM (2)
- Chance Billington, John Tyler, OL, 6-3, 201 — offer from SMU (1)
- Tamauzia Brown, Newton, WR/ATH, 6-1, 170 — offer from Oklahoma State (1)
- Keontae Burns, Pittsburg, WR, 6-3, 182 — offers from Iowa State, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss (4)
- Coltin Clack, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 202 — offers from Florida Atlantic, SMU, Southern Miss (3)
- Christian Hood, Marshall, OL, 6-2, 290 — offer from Southern Miss (1)
- T.Q. Jackson, Jefferson, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from SMU, Southern Miss (2)
- Keivie Rose, Henderson, DE, 6-4, 220 — offers from Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, SMU, Southern Miss, Tulane (5)
- Carl Williams, Lufkin, DT, 6-3, 275 — offers from Oklahoma, SMU, TCU, Tulsa (4)
- Marcus Williams, Longview, OL, 6-6, 250 — offers from Baylor, Houston, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State (5)