Pacific Heights: Longview’s JaMycal Hasty Picks Up Oregon Offer + Nac’s Jaylon Lane Offered By Washington State
The Pac-12 conference reached out to two East Texas recruits in the 2015 class Friday when Oregon offered Longview running back JaMycal Hasty and Washington State made Nacogdoches cornerback Jaylon Lane a target.
Both players announced their new offers via Twitter.
Hasty and Lane became the fourth and fifth players from East Texas to pick up an offer from the Pac-12. Other area targets of the conference are Gilmer athlete Kris Boyd, Whitehouse safety Justin Dunning and Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack.
Oregon gave the Longview speedster Hasty (5-9, 181) his eighth overall offer, joining Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech. He and Mack are the only players in East Texas with an offer from Oregon.
Hasty, who ran for 1,413 yards and 13 touchdowns last fall despite missing two games because of an injury, had a stellar showing at the inaugural ETSN combine at APEC training facility in Tyler last May. He ran an event-best 4.39 laser-timed 40-yard dash en route to winning Offensive MVP honors.
Despite playing exclusively at running back during his high school career, Hasty’s athleticism and versatility could make him a prime candidate to develop into a slot receiver at the next level. He caught 12 passes for 255 yards and three touchdowns — an average of more than 21 yards per catch — in 2013.
Lane (6-2, 185), who reopened his recruitment by decommitting from Ole Miss on Thursday, has picked up all seven of his offers in the last month.
He now has at least one offer from three of country’s major conferences — SEC (Ole Miss), Big 12 (Oklahoma State) and Pac-12 (Washington State) — and others from quality programs like Boise State, Houston, Louisiana Tech and South Alabama.
Lane spent last season at Central High School in San Angelo before moving back to Nacogdoches, where his high school career began. In 2013, Lane recorded five interceptions and 46 tackles and was a force on special teams by averaging more than 45 yards on five kickoff returns, including a 108-yarder for a touchdown.
He will team with 2016 safety Brandon Jones, who has eight major Division I FBS offers in his own right, to give Nacogdoches one of the area’s most talented defensive backfields and kick-return units in 2014.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 175 — offers from Boise State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, South Alabama, Washington State (7)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)