Penn State + Tennessee Offer Nacogdoches’ Jaylon Lane + Recruiting Timeline
[Updated, 8:45 p.m. CDT]
Nacogdoches cornerback Jaylon Lane picked up his East Texas-leading 32nd and 33rd offers when the Dragons' 2015 playmaker was made a target by Penn State and Tennessee on Monday.
Lane (6-2, 185) confirmed the offers via his Twitter account. Penn State coaches were in Nacogdoches earlier Monday to observe the Dragons' first spring practice.
Lane now has offers from three programs in the Big Ten -- Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State.
Tennessee became the 50th unique Division I FBS program to offer the 18 East Texas recruits in the 2015 class. Lane has 10 SEC offers -- Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Texas A&M.
To say Lane's recruitment has been busy over the last two months would be a huge understatement. Since receiving his first offer from Louisiana Tech on Feb. 23, Lane has not gone more than seven days without receiving an offer. From March 24-29, he picked up a total of 12 offers.
Lane's 33 offers is 12 more than anyone else in East Texas' 2015 recruiting class.
Nacogdoches, which went 7-4 last season en route to its first postseason appearance since 2006, could field one of the top secondaries in all of East Texas this fall. In addition to Lane, the Dragons will have the services of 2016 safety Brandon Jones, who himself already has 12 major Division I FBS offers.
Lane, who has spent the last two seasons at San Angelo Central High School, had five interceptions, 46 tackles and averaged almost 46 yards on five kickoff returns as a junior. Jones made 95 tackles as a sophomore, adding five interceptions, a defensive touchdowns and two special teams returns for scores.
Jaylon Lane's Recruiting Timeline
- Feb. 24 -- offered by Louisiana Tech
- Feb. 25 -- offered by South Alabama
- March 2 -- offered by Ole Miss
- March 7 -- committed to Ole Miss
- March 9 -- won defensive backs MVP at Rivals.com camp in Houston
- March 9 -- offered by Houston
- March 11 -- offered by Oklahoma State
- March 17 -- offered by Boise State
- March 20 -- decommitted from Ole Miss
- March 21 -- offered by Washington State
- March 22 -- offered by Texas State
- March 24 -- offered by Louisville
- March 25 -- offered by Arkansas State, Kentucky and Utah State
- March 26 -- offered by Mississippi State, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame and Oklahoma
- March 27 -- offered by LSU
- March 28 -- offered by Arizona State and Texas A&M
- March 29 -- offered by Syracuse
- March 31 -- offered by Georgia State
- April 1 -- offered by Missouri and Ohio State
- April 5 -- offered by Michigan State
- April 12 --offered by Wake Forest
- April 15 -- offered by Arkansas
- April 17 -- offered by Miami and Texas Tech
- April 18 -- offered by Florida
- April 23 -- offered by Georgia
- April 24 -- offered by Florida State
- April 28 -- offered by Penn State and Tennessee
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, UTSA (2)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, South Alabama, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (33)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Oklahoma State, ULL (4)
- Samuel Miller, TE/DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offer from UTSA (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)