Perennial Power Mart Stands in San Augustine’s Way on Friday
Class A Division I Region III
San Augustine Wolves (9-2)
Mart Panthers (9-2)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Wildcat Stadium, Palestine
San Augustine: Donald Hubbard
Mart: Rusty Nail
Road To Regionals
- Bi-district: bye
- Area: def. Axtell, 35-0
- Bi-district: bye
- Area: def. Pineland West Sabine, 69-15
Next week: Winner plays Alto (10-2) or Bosqueville (11-1) in the 1A Division I Region III final.
- RB Tony Hubbard (239 carries, 1,652 yards, 28 TDs)
- QB Bobby Tanner (79 of 159, 1,148 yards, 9 TDs, 8 INTs; 81 carries, 608 yards, 10 TDs)
- ATH Ty'Aundra Taylor (93 carries, 802 yards, 8 TDs; 30 catches, 420 yards, 3 TDs)
- LB Jarvis Giles (126 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, 1 recovery)
- LB Xavier Brown (141 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 recoveries, 1 punt block)
- WR Al Horton (24 catches, 379 yards, 3 TDs)
- WR Dez Randle (17 catches, 295 yards, 3 TDs)
- QB D'Nerian Thomas (47 of 92, 871 yards, 12 TDs, 0 INTs; 158 carries, 1,401 yards, 17 TDs; 1 kickoff return TD)
- RB/LB DeMarcus Cosby (105 carries, 1,350 yards, 17 TDs; 108 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 2 def. TDs)
- LB Collin Nail (109 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles)
- LB Shannon Cordell (100 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble)
- WR Lane Cobbs (20 catches, 377 yards, 7 TDs)
- ATH Quentin Bryant (16 carries, 411 yards, 7 TDs; 12 catches, 325 yards, 5 TDs; 1 kickoff return TD)
- RB Marquis Westbrooks (45 carries, 324 yards)
Just the facts
- San Augustine averages 35.9 points per game and allows 18.6.
- Mart averages 44.6 points per game and allows 21.5.
- San Augustine has won eight consecutive games.
- The Wolves have held four of those eight opponents to single digits, including three of the last four games.
- Mart has won seven consecutive games,
- The Panthers have scored 47 or more points in five of those games, including 56-plus in three contests.
- San Augustine and Mart have both played Axtell and Pineland West Sabine.
- San Augustine beat Axtell 35-0 and West Sabine 20-8.
- Mart beat Axtell 56-0 and West Sabine 69-15.
Key matchup: San Augustine's front seven vs. Mart's running game. To say that Mart can run the ball is a gross understatement. Veteran coach Rusty Nail's Panthers average 359.8 rushing yards per game powered by QB D'Nerian Thomas and super freshman DeMarcus Cosby, the younger cousin of Jacksonville Jaguars and former University of Texas receiver Quan Cosby. Thomas and DeMarcus Cosby have combined for 2,751 rushing yards and 34 touchdowns, averaging almost 10.5 yards per carry. San Augustine must be prepared to defend one of the best Class A running games in the state. Linebackers Xavier Brown and Jarvis Giles will spearhead that effort as the Wolves top two tacklers and backbone of a defense that has allowed more than 20 points once in the last six games.
Don't be surprised if: Friday's game is higher scoring than both defenses are accustomed to. When you put teams on the field with as many athletes as San Augustine and Mart possess, then your defenders will have occasional mishaps. After all, it's harder to chase than to be chased. Both teams run the ball very well, but San Augustine has shown more of a tendency to balance its offense than Mart. Part of the reason for that is Mart's overwhelming running success. Why throw the ball if you don't have to? On the other hand, Mart has succeeded when it has allowed Thomas to toss it. He enters Friday's third-round showdown with a 12-0 touchdown-to-interception ratio, despite averaging only 8.4 pass attempts per game. Regardless of the outcome, this should be a fun game to watch. Very few 1A contests boast as many athletes as will be on the field in this game.