PREVIEW: Elysian Fields Looks to Increase Win Streak as Waskom Awaits
DISTRICT 9-3A Division II
Waskom Wildcats (2-3, 1-0)
Elysian Fields Yellowjackets (5-1, 2-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Jacket Stadium, Elysian Fields
- Waskom: Whiteney Keeling
- Elysian Fields: Scott Ford
- Waskom: BYE
- Elysian Fields: def. Arp, 37-0
- Waskom: vs. Beckville, Oct. 20
- Elysian Fields: BYE
- QB Raymond Ramirez, Jr. (7-of-26, 116 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs; 53 carries, 235 yards)
- RB T.K. Hamilton, Jr., 5-11, 155 (69 carries, 677 yards, 11 TDs)
- OL Jack Smith, Sr., 6-3, 325
- RB/LB Chris Stafford, Jr., 5-8, 155 (24 carries, 245 yards, 3 TDs)
- WR/DB K.T. Ceaser, Sr.
- RB/DB Da'lyn Hill, Jr., 5-8, 155 (31 carries, 117 yards, 1 TD)
- OL/DL Isaac Irving, Jr., 6-0, 180
- OL Christian Smith, Sr., 5-11, 299
- QB Garrett McIntosh, Sr., 6-1, 170 (83-of-147, 1,331 yards, 12 TDs, 9 INTs)
- OL Jade Ashalintubbi, Jr., 6-6, 315
- OL/DL Malik Johnson, Sr., 6-4, 275
- RB/LB Nathan Johnson, Sr., 5-11, 200 (67 carries, 476 yards, 4 TDs)
- RB/DB Christavian Smith, Soph., 5-9, 160 (73 carries, 490 yards, 8 TDs)
- WR/DB Cole Myers, Sr., 6-2, 165 (26 catches, 574 yards, 8 TDs; 26 tackles, 1 INT)
- LB Stone Crisp, Sr., 5-8, 165 (90 tackles, 5 for loss, 1 sack, 3 fumble recoveries, 2 forced fumbles)
- LB Jeb Dickson, Sr., 5-8, 160 (73 tackles, 4 for loss, 4 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 3 PBUs)
- WR/DB Caleb Mosley, Sr., 6-1, 175 (24 catches, 355 yards, 1 TD)
Just the facts
- Waskom relies heavily on the run, having passed only 31 times all season.
- The Wildcats are averaging 6.5 yards per carry.
- Elysian Fields is averaging a whopping 435 yards per contest.
- The Yellowjackets have weapons all over the field, and are averaging more than 200 yards both rushing and passing.
- Elysian Fields holds a 9-4 record in the series since 2004.
- Last year the Yellowjackets won, 40-20.
Key matchup: Waskom's running attack against Elysian Fields' rush. This is two powers going at it. Waskom simply doesn't do much outside of run the ball on offense. The Wildcats are effective, too. They average 6.5 yards per carry and 331 yards per game on the ground.
T.K. Hamilton leads the charge with 677 yards and 11 touchdowns so far. At 5-11, 155 pounds, his elusiveness and speed make him tough for defenders to bring down.
Elysian Fields, on the other hand, has a pair of linebacker more than capable. Stone Crisps ranks third in all of East Texas with 90 tackles this season, and Jeb Dickson adds 73. The two have combined for nine tackles for loss, five sacks and three forced fumbles. They have been causing problems for offenses all season.
When these teams clash, it could come down to who wins this matchup. Simply put, if Waskom can't run the ball, it probably isn't going to win the game.
Don't be surprised if: Elysian Fields puts up a lot of points. The Waskom defense has been kind to high-powered offenses this season. Elysian Fields is putting up 37 points per game this season and could surpass that in this matchup.
It helps that the Yellowjackets are versatile. They can do damage on the ground with their duo of Christian Smith and Nathan Johnson, both of whom have more than 400 yards this season. However, they can also carve up defenses through the air, where they've amassed more than 1,300 yards so far.
It could be a long night for Waskom if it doesn't come prepared on defense.