PREVIEW: San Augustine Looks to Bounce Back Against Tenaha
San Augustine Wolves (1-1)
Tenaha Tigers (2-1)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Tiger Stadium, Tenaha
- San Augustine: Marty Murr
- Tenaha: Greg Jenkins
- San Augustine: lost to Garrison, 48-39
- Tenaha: def. Tyler Bishop Gorman, 28-27
- San Augustine: vs. Hemphill, Sept. 28
- Tenaha: vs. Timpson, Sept. 28
Players to watch
- DL TyPatrick Bluford, Sr., 6-1, 200 (10 tackles, 3 QB hurries)
- RB/DB Tijay Thomas, Jr., 5-8, 143 (44 carries, 412 yards, 7 TDs; 6 catches 105 yards, 2 TDs; 6 tackles, 1 INT, 1 PBU)
- QB/DB DelMarquis Barnes, Soph., 5-8, 145 (12-of-33, 194 yards, 2 TDs, 4 INTs; 19 carries, 130 yards, 1 TD; 16 tackles)
- LB Zach Garcia, Jr., 5-8, 165 (18 tackles)
- LB Alberto Bahena, Sr. (27 tackles)
- OL/DL JaDarius Holman, Sr., 6-2, 195 (16 tackles, 2 for loss, 3 QB hurries)
- DL Eulalio Carranza, Jr., 5-9, 180 (10 tackles, QB hurry)
- WR/DB JaChristian Lovell, Sr., 5-10, 155 (17 tackles, 1 PBU)
- RB Kevorian Barnes, Soph., 5-7, 145 (3 carries, 42 yards)
- WR/DL JaVarious Miller (2 catches, 27 yards)
- DL/OL Juarmez Brock, Sr., 6-1, 245
- WR/DB Jay Lloyd, Sr., 5-11, 170 (66 carries, 444 yards, 2 TDs; 10 catches, 214 yards, 4 TDs)
- QB Hayden Jenkins, Jr., 6-2, 175 (33-of-65, 558 yards, 6 TDs, 2 INTs)
- SS/WR Ja'Qualin Franks, Sr., 6-1, 165
- DL/OL Jared Tovar, Jr.
- DL Nictavian Calloway, Sr., 5-10, 265
- DE/C Tycorreus Villegas, Sr., 5-9, 235
- WR/DB Erik Smith, Jr., 6-3, 180 (10 catches, 180 yards, 2 TDs)
Just the facts
- This is the first time San Augustine and Tenaha have met since 2013, when the Tigers won, 21-15.
- Tenaha has had some close calls early, with two of its games this far being decided by three points or less.
- Tiger receiver Jay Lloyd has been the primary source of offense thus far, accounting for 657 total yards and 6 touchdowns.
- Tenaha is averaging 379 yards per game (193 rushing and 186 passing).
- San Augustine is averaging 400.5 yards per game (301 rushing and 99.5 passing).
- The Wolves' Tijay Thomas ranks 12th among East Texas rushing leaders with 412 yards.
Key matchup: Jay Lloyd against the San Augustine defense. Lloyd has been the offense for Tenaha so far. He already has 657 through three games. He not only serves as quarterback Hayden Jenkins' primary target, but also the top rusher. Limiting him will be key if San Augustine hopes to keep the Tiger offense in check.
Linebackers Alberto Bahena and Zach Garcia will look to get to Lloyd before he breaks lose. They have combined for 45 tackles this season. The defensive line also looks strong with JaDarius Holman and TyPatrick Buford, who have caused a combined six quarterback hurries this season. If they can get pressure on Jenkins, Lloyd might see less catchable targets. Whichever side can win this battle will be in a much better position to win the game.
Don't be surprised if: San Augustine throws only when it needs to. DelMarquis Barnes is plenty capable as a passer, with 194 yards through three games. However, San Augustine has shown a predilection toward rushing early on.
The Wolves get more than 75 percent of their offense on the ground, with Barnes and Tijay Thomas the primary ball carriers. Perhaps Barnes' four interceptions have also caused reason for concern.
Whatever the case, expect plenty of rushing plays on Friday for San Augustine.