Tyler Lee, Lufkin Meet in Hopes of Capturing First Win of Season
TYLER LEE RED RAIDERS (0-1)
LUFKIN PANTHERS (1-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Abe Martin Stadium, Lufkin. Radio: KYKS 105.1-FM, Lufkin
Tyler Lee: Darrell Piske
Lufkin: Todd Quick
Tyler Lee: lost to Sulphur Springs 35-34, OT
Lufkin: lost to John Tyler 35-21
Tyler Lee: vs. John Tyler
Lufkin: vs. Nacogdoches
- RB LaQuintas Wallace, Sr., 5-10, 190
- RB/FB Marcus White, Sr., 5-6, 185
- OT Zacchaeus Page, Sr., 6-4, 305
- DE/LB Del’kei Derrett, Sr., 6-1, 240
- K Lumi Kaba, Sr., 6-2, 180
- WR Marquiston Williams, 5-11, 155
- CB Davier Harris, Sr., 5-10, 150
- QB Tyler Stubblefield, Sr., 6-5, 190
- RB/WR Key’vantanie Coutee, Soph., 5-10, 170
- DE Demontrai Lewis, Sr., 6-3, 215
- WR JaBryce Taylor, Sr., 6-1, 180 (committed to SMU)
- ATH Jamarion Houston, Jr., 6-0, 185
- RB Josh Tolbert, Jr., 5-8, 170
- DT D’vante Botley, Sr., 6-4, 255
Just the facts
- Lufkin has won five consecutive meetings against Tyler Lee. The last Red Raiders win came in 2003.
- The field at Abe Martin Stadium will be dedicated in the honor of the late coach John Outlaw, who passed away unexpectedly last December. Outlaw coached Lufkin for 17 seasons.
- The Panthers, who are coming off the season-opening loss to John Tyler, were without some important pieces on offense last week, including receivers Jamal Jeffery and Terry Mark. Both are expected to play on Friday night.
- Lee’s defense gave up 483 yards to Sulphur Springs, yet came within one yard of winning its season opener.
- Raleigh Poster got the start at quarterback last week in place of the injured Jordan Richardson, who could return this week. Poster completed 10-of-16 attempts for 109 and ran for two touchdowns.
- The Red Raiders leaned on their backfield duo of Wallace and White, who combined for 206 yards on the ground last week.
Key matchup: Lufkin passing game vs. Lee secondary. Stubblefield passed for 265 yards last week against John Tyler, and with reinforcements in the receiving corps on the way, the Panthers may air it out even more Friday night. The Lee secondary struggled to keep up with the Sulphur Springs wideouts last week, surrendering 313 passing yards while allowing 30 completions in 36 attempts. The Red Raiders DBs must find improvement this week in order to keep up with the Lufkin offense.
Don’t be surprised if: Lufkin comes out more aggressive at the outset after falling behind 21-0 in the second quarter to John Tyler. The Panthers got within two scores on three separate occasions but never could come any closer. With more weapons at its disposal, Lufkin might get back on track this week against a Lee team coming off a hard-fought, overtime loss and still in transition.