Purdue Offers Nacogdoches’ Jaylon Lane, Giving Dragons CB Offer No. 35
The recruitment of Nacogdoches cornerback Jaylon Lane knows no boundaries. Colleges from all across the country have extended the Dragons' 2015 standout invitations to join their programs.
And that continued Wednesday night when Lane received an offer from Purdue, his East Texas-leading 35th Division I FBS offer. Lane announced the offer via Twitter.
Lane (6-2, 185) has offers from 10 different conferences -- SEC (10), ACC (5), Big 12 (4), Big Ten (4), Sun Belt (4), Mountain West (2), Pac-12 (2), American Athletic, Conference USA and Mid-American-- and from schools in 22 different states.
Purdue, which offered Lane's teammate -- 2016 safety Brandon Jones -- earlier on Wednesday, struggled through a winless Big Ten season in 2013 and finished with a 1-11 record, its worst season in the 126-year history over the program.
Lane, a big and physical cornerback capable of both jamming receivers at the line of scrimmage and recovery, has seen his recruitment explode over the last 10 weeks. All of his 35 offers have come since Feb. 24.
The vast majority of Lane's offers followed his defensive backs MVP performance at the Rivals.com camp in Houston on March 9. He received a whopping 11 offers in the week of March 23-29.
Expectations will be high in his native Nacogdoches for Lane after a solid junior season at Central High School in San Angelo, which included five interceptions, 46 tackles and an average of nearly 46 yards on five kickoff returns.
Lane will join forces with Jones, younger brother and 2016 safety Corey Lane (Louisiana Tech offer) and 2015 cornerback Tay Forest to form a potentially lethal Dragons defensive back this fall.
With several other key pieces returning from last season's 7-4 playoff team -- Nacogdoches' first postseason squad since 2006 -- the potential exists for the Dragons to build upon 2013 and become a force in the new 16-5A, which features perennial powers Ennis, John Tyler, Lufkin and Whitehouse.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – offer from North Texas (1)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, Rice, UTSA (3)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (35)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (5)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offers from Memphis, Nevada, UTSA (3)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis (2)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-2, 195 – offer from Navy (1)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, New Mexico, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)