Reigning BCS National Champion Florida State Next to Offer Nacogdoches’ Jaylon Lane
The recruitment of Nacogdoches' Jaylon Lane doesn't figure to slow down any time soon, and on Thursday, East Texas' most recruited player in the 2015 class picked up an offer from the reigning BCS national champions.
Lane (6-2, 185) announced that Florida State offered Thursday afternoon, giving the Dragons playmaker his 31st overall offer from a Division I FBS program.
Florida State has been active in East Texas of late. Aside from Lane, the Seminoles have extended offers to three other area recruits in the 2015 class -- Gilmer athlete Kris Boyd, Whitehouse safety Justin Dunning and Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack.
FSU has also offered Lane's teammate -- 2016 safety Brandon Jones, who now shares nine common offers with Lane. Besides Florida State, Lane and Jones also hold offers from Arizona State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Washington State.
Lane did not hold any offers prior to Feb. 23, but has racked up a staggering 31 in two months time. His performance at the Rivals.com camp in Houston in early March, which resulted in defensive backs MVP honors, helped expedite the recruitment.
Nacogdoches should boast one of the top secondaries in all of East Texas this fall.
Lane recently transferred back to his native Nacogdoches after spending the last two seasons at Central High School in San Angelo. As a junior, he had five interceptions, 46 tackles and averaged almost 46 yards on five kickoff returns, including a 108-yarder for a touchdown.
Jones (6-0, 190) had a monster sophomore season for Nacogdoches. He had five interceptions, 95 tackles, a defensive touchdown and two special teams returns for scores.
The Dragons went 7-4 last season, advancing to the playoffs for the first time since 2006.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, UTSA (2)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (31)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Oklahoma State, ULL (4)
- Samuel Miller, TE/DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offer from UTSA (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)