Rivals Waskom + Elysian Fields Meet with Both Unbeaten in District 9-2A Division II
District 9-2A Division II
Waskom Wildcats (6-0, 3-0)
Elysian Fields Yellow Jackets (3-3, 3-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Jacket Stadium, Elysian Fields
- Waskom: Whitney Keeling
- Elysian Fields: Scott Ford
- Waskom: won 56-24 vs. Linden-Kildare
- Elysian Fields: won 57-13 at DeKalb
- Waskom: vs. DeKalb
- Elysian Fields: at Hughes Springs
- RB Kevin Johnson, Jr., 5-10, 165 (53 carries, 772 yards, 12 TDs)
- ATH June Bug Johnson, Jr., 5-8, 150 (4 of 7, 60 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT; 46 carries, 710 yards, 9 TDs)
- FB Dillon Benton (33 carries, 494 yards, 6 TDs)
- RB/LB Chandrin Amie, Soph., 5-10, 160 (16 carries, 229 yards, 2 TDs)
- QB Trace Carter (9 of 19, 162 yards; 54 carries, 323 yards, 6 TDs)
- DL Justin Spurlin, Sr., 5-7, 160
- WR Eric Stephens III (4 catches, 70 yards, 2 TDs)
- LB Tanner Norman, Sr., 5-10, 190 (64 tackles, 6 for loss, 3 sacks, 1 fumble recovery)
- RB Tanner Davis, Sr., 5-10, 180 (110 carries, 998 yards, 10 TDs)
- DL Braden Jett, Sr., 5-9, 200 (36 tackles, 6 for loss, 2 sacks, 1 fumble recovery)
- QB Logan Hughes, Fr. (65 of 137, 962 yards, 6 TDs, 11 INTs; 102 carries, 372 yards, 6 TDs)
- DL Randall Wall, Sr. (34 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 fumble recovery)
- OL Zack Holcomb, Sr., 6-2, 220
- WR Dylan Drake (21 catches, 324 yards, 2 TDs)
- WR Drake Davis (16 catches, 191 yards)
- WR Brevin Manning (11 catches, 133 yards, 1 TD)
Just the facts
- Elysian Fields is 19-4 vs. Waskom since 1990.
- Elysian Fields won last year's meeting 41-33.
- Waskom averages 490.0 total yards per game: 453.0 rushing yards per game, 37 passing.
- Waskom averages 50.2 points per game and allows 23.8.
- Elysian Fields averages 30.0 points per game and allows 23.5.
- Corrigan-Camden, Jefferson, and Arp outscored Elysian Fields 115-60 during EF's 0-3 start.
- Elysian Fields has outscored Linden-Kildare, Ore City, and DeKalb 120-26 during the Yellow Jackets' three-game winning streak to start District 9-2A Division II play.
- Linden-Kildare is the lone common opponent that Waskom and EF have faced.
- Elysian Fields won 28-6 at home against L-K on Sept. 27.
- Waskom won 56-24 at home against L-K on Oct. 11.
Key matchup: Elysian Fields' defensive front vs. Waskom's running game. A quick glance at Waskom's offensive stats reveals the obvious: the Wildcats love to run the ball and they run it really, really well.
Not only does Waskom average more than 450 yards per game on the ground thanks to 40 rushing attempts each contest, the Wildcats gain big chunks of yards when they run the ball. Waskom enters Friday night's District 9-2A Division II rivalry matchup vs. Elysian Fields averaging a jaw-dropping 11.3 yards per carry as a team.
Waskom has scored 41 touchdowns this season, 39 of which have come on the ground. That's an average of 6.5 rushing touchdowns per game.
Kevin Johnson and Justin "June Bug" Johnson give head coach Whitney Keeling a dynamic ball-carrying duo. The Johnsons have combined for almost 1,500 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns in Waskom's first six games, averaging nearly 15 yards per carry between them.
Elysian Fields needs a huge game from its front seven to slow down Waskom's ground game and give tailback Tanner Davis and EF's own rushing attack a chance to dictate the tempo.
Don't be surprised if: The team that successfully imposes its will in the running game remains undefeated in 9-2A D-II play.
While Waskom's multi-faceted rushing attack deservedly catches a lot of the attention entering this game, Elysian Fields' ground game cannot be overlooked. Tanner Davis' 329-yard effort a week ago is definite proof of that.
The question is, can EF slow Waskom enough to give the Jackets' offense enough chances? If it can, EF extends its winning streak to four games. If it can't, don't be surprised to see another 450-yard rushing night for Waskom's potent running game.