SMU Extends Offer To Henderson’s Trestan Ebner
It's been almost one month since Henderson's Trestan Ebner received his first Division I FBS offer. On Wednesday, the talented 2017 prospect picked up his second scholarship opportunity.
Ebner (5-11, 180) announced via Twitter that he now has been offered by SMU, which follows a Kansas offer the receiver/safety received on May 14.
SMU has now officially targeted two East Texans in the 2017 class. John Tyler receiver Damion Miller also holds an offer from the Mustangs.
The Mustangs suffered through a dreadful 2014 season, which featured an in-season resignation of head coach Jones and a 1-11 overall record, the program’s worst finish since 2008.
To replace Jones, SMU hired former Texas high school football coaching great and ex-Tulsa and Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris. The first-year coach spent the first part of his coaching career in East Texas, leading the programs at Eustace and Elysian Fields before finding great success at Bay City, Stephenville, and Lake Travis, where he won a couple of state championships.
SMU competes in the American Athletic Conference.
Ebner was an integral member of Henderson’s 2014 District 9-3A Division I championship team, leading the Lions with 40 catches for 919 yards and 11 touchdowns. He was also a playmaker on the defensive side of the ball, registering 97 tackles with four interceptions and five passes broken up from the safety spot.
The Lions’ incoming junior was among the 113 athletes who participated in the third annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine in Tyler on May 10. After a strong testing session in the morning, Ebner delivered an excellent performance during one-on-one drills in the afternoon.
Henderson brings back Ebner and a few other talented weapons in 2015 in the hopes of building upon the Lions’ 11-3 season in 2014, which ended with a 34-14 loss to eventual Class 4A Division I state champion Navasota in the state quarterfinals.
Henderson begins the season Aug. 28 at home against Athens.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Lagaryonn Carson, DE, Liberty-Eylau, 6-4, 261 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M (7)
- Trestan Ebner, WR/S, Henderson, 5-11, 180 – offers from Kansas, SMU (2)
- Montrell Estell, WR/S, Hooks, 6-2, 180 — offers from Kansas, Texas Tech (2)
- Octavius Evans, WR, Center, 6-1, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Texas Tech (2)
- Damion Miller, WR, John Tyler, 6-2, 205 — offers from Houston, Kansas, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (6)
- Major Tennison, TE, Bullard, 6-4, 220 — offer from Texas Tech (1)