SMU Offers Nacogdoches’ Brandon Jones
Nacogdoches 2016 safety Brandon Jones received his 33rd Division I FBS offer and it came from SMU, the Dragons' standout announced through his Twitter account Friday afternoon.
Jones (6-0, 190) is East Texas' most popular recruit in the 2016 class. No other player in the region has more than two FBS offers.
The junior standout was largely limited this season with an early-season knee injury, but he did participate in six of 11 games. Jones finished his personal five-game regular season with 30 tackles and two forced fumbles, including 18 tackles and one caused fumble after the injury.
Jones recently listed a top 10, which included (in no particular order) Ole Miss, Alabama, Ohio State, USC, Florida State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Georgia and LSU.
SMU, which is under new leadership with former Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris taking over the Mustangs' program after seven seasons under June Jones, who resigned early in the 2014 season.
Morris has ties to the Lone Star state, having got his start in coaching at the high school ranks in Texas. He began in East Texas with stints at Eustace and Elysian Fields, before moving on to Bay City, Stephenville and Lake Travis. He compiled a record of 169-38 and led his teams to a combined three state championships.
Morris left high school to become Tulsa's offensive coordinator in 2010, and has spent the last four seasons calling plays for Clemson.
Jones and Frankston receiver Kendrick Rogers are the lone East Texas recruits in 2016 with offers from SMU.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — offers from Florida State, Texas (2)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, USC, Washington State (33)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 275 – offers from Air Force, Navy (2)
- Corey Lane, S, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)