SMU The Latest To Offer Mineola’s Austin + Riley Anderson
It's becoming almost a daily occurrence, and it happened yet again. For the second consecutive day, Mineola's twin 2016 offensive linemen Austin and Riley Anderson have picked up offers from a school in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex -- this time SMU.
The players tweeted news of the new offers -- the 14th overall for each -- Wednesday afternoon. All 14 Division I FBS invitations have come since Feb. 3.
Austin Anderson (6-4, 289) and Riley Anderson (6-5, 287) each received offers from TCU on Tuesday. They now both have six in-state scholarship opportunities with additional offers from Houston, North Texas, Texas State, and Texas Tech.
SMU is coming off a rough 1-11 season in 2014. Head June Jones resigned during the year, and was eventually replaced by Clemson offensive coordinator and former Texas high school football coach Chad Morris.
Prior to his college coaching stints at Tulsa and Clemson, Morris was among the winningest and most respective coaches in Texas. He got his start in East Texas at Eustace and Elysian Fields before moving on to Bay City, Stephenville, and Lake Travis, where he won a pair of state championships.
SMU, which competes in the American Athletic Conference, has been at work in East Texas among the 2016 recruiting class. The Mustangs have now offered four area recruits -- Austin and Riley Anderson, Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones, and Frankston receiver Kendrick Rogers.
The Andersons were instrumental in paving the way for a group of exclusively underclassmen runners for Mineola last season. They helped a run-dependent Yellowjackets offense amass 4,465 rushing yards and 53 touchdowns in a 16-game season culminating with a Class 3A Division I state championship game appearance.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (14)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (14)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, USC, Washington State (34)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, 6-3, 202 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)