Stanford Offers Gladewater’s Daylon Mack
Offer No. 18 arrived Thursday night for Gladewater standout Daylon Mack.
Stanford wasted no time following Wednesday's National Signing Day for the 2014 class, offering Mack on Thursday evening to jump into the race for East Texas' No. 1 recruit in the 2015 class. Mack announced the offer on Twitter.
The 6-foot-1, 311-pound Mack committed to Texas A&M in October and has actively recruited for the Aggies since. Nevertheless, a verbal pledge is non-binding and recruits in the 2015 class cannot sign a national letter of intent until Feb. 2015.
Stanford made a signing day splash in Texas on Wednesday when heavily-recruited Coppell defensive end Solomon Thomas picked the Cardinal over Arkansas and UCLA at his signing ceremony announcement. Thomas is considered one of the nation's top 2014 defensive end prospects and follows a recent line of notable Texans to "The Farm," which has produced Texas-bred NFL draft picks in quarterback Andrew Luck (Houston Stratford) and running back Stepfan Taylor (Mansfield). Stanford, which consistently recruits nationally because of its academic requirements, has a dozen Texans on its roster.
Mack had a monster junior season with 98 tackles, 35 for loss, five sacks, an East Texas-leading eight forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, and one punt block. He also played a key role on offense in the latter portion of the season, rushing for almost 300 yards and 10 touchdowns as the Bears won three playoff games and reached the Class 3A Division II Region II championship round. ETSN.fm recently named Mack to the 2013 East Texas Super Team first team.
Mack is the headliner of what could be a loaded East Texas 2015 class for Texas A&M and head coach Kevin Sumlin, who has hit East Texas hard since taking over the Aggies. Mack is 1 of 3 East Texas junior commitments along with Whitehouse safety Justin Dunning and Sulphur Springs safety Larry Pryor. Dunning committed to Texas A&M in November, a couple of weeks after Mack's pledge to the Aggies.
Mack is East Texas' first 2015 prospect to receive a Stanford offer. Stanford offered 2014 Liberty-Eylau athlete Davion Hall, who signed Wednesday with Baylor. Hall committed to Baylor almost a year ago.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 175 -- offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (8)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 -- offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key'Vantanie "KeKe" Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 -- offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 -- committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (9)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 -- offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 -- offers from Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (7)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 -- committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 -- committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Clemson, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (18)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 -- offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 -- offer from Houston (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 -- committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 -- offer from SMU (1)