TYLER -- First-year Tyler Lee coach Darrell Piske wanted to make a statement in his first game on the Red Raiders sideline, but he'll have to wait at least one more week for his first win at Lee.

Senior running back Marcus White was stopped a yard shy of the goal line on a two-point conversion attempt in overtime, sending Sulphur Springs to a thrilling 35-34 victory Saturday night at TMF Rose Stadium.

The failed attempt came after senior running back LaQuintas Wallace's 22-yard touchdown run on the Red Raiders' second play of the extra session.

"We wanted to go for the win," Piske said. "We've got to be able to get three yards behind that big offensive line, so we had already made up our minds that if we scored we were going to go make a statement with it. They made a good play and had a little penetration."

The end result spoiled a spirited effort by Lee (0-1), which is coming off a 1-9 season.

"I'm just glad the way they battled," Piske said. "They didn't want to give up and that's why we wanted to go for two and get the win. They've just got to come back the next week and do the same thing."

Sulphur Springs (1-0) took the ball first in overtime and went up 35-28 on a 13-yard pass from Brad Macek to Colton Wise. Macek finished the night 21-of-24 for 224 yards and three touchdowns. Macek split quarterbacking duties with Derick Ingram, who hit on 9-of-12 attempts for 89 yards and also ran for a score.

Cole Hill led the Wildcats receiving corps with 12 catches for 152 yards and three touchdowns. Willy Ivery had nine receptions for 76 yards, and rushed for 65 on just four attempts.

The backfield combo of Wallace and White paced Lee's offensive attack. Wallace turned in a game-high 124 yards and two touchdowns on 21 attempts, much of his yardage occurring after contact. White added 82 yards on 13 carries.

Lee quarterback Raleigh Poster, starting in place of the injured Jordan Richardson, was 10-of-16 for 109 yards and scored twice on 1-yard runs.

"He did a good job, he threw the ball well," Piske said of Poster's performance. "He led the offense well. I'd have to watch the film, but I can't think of a lot of mistakes he made. He may have taken the bootleg the wrong way a couple times, but other than that I thought he did a good job."

Sulphur Springs went up 28-21 with 10:14 remaining in the fourth on Ingram's 5-yard run. But after forcing Lee into a three-and-out on the ensuing possession, Lee's Josh Wyscarver-Smith pounced on a muffed punt by Hill at the Wildcats' 24.

Six plays later, Wallace powered his way across the goal line from 7 yards out to tie the game, 28-28, with 4:51 remaining.

The Wildcats then marched the ball into Lee territory, but the drive stalled at the Lee 33-yard line with just five

seconds to go in regulation.

"On that last (Sulphur Springs) drive, if the night had continued to go the way it'd been going, they would've gone down and scored," Piske said. "But the defense bowed their neck up and made a stop. They score in overtime and we go score in overtime. They battled until the game was over."

Sulphur Springs and Lee traded touchdowns in the third quarter. Hill was on the receiving end of a 22-yard touchdown pass from Macek, and Lee tied it at 21 on Poster's 1-yard sneak with 5:43 to go in the third.

The Red Raiders scored on their opening possession of the game. Poster's QB sneak capped a 12-play, 76-yard drive that took 5:10 off the clock.

Sulphur Springs came right back when Buddy Ivery scored from a yard out to end a 15-play, 81-yard possession. However, the Lee defense prevented Sulphur Springs from converting its two-point conversion attempt and held a 7-6 lead late in the first quarter.

Lee drove the ball all the way to the Wildcats' 14 on the ensuing drive, but Wallace mishandled a pitch from Poster and Sulphur Springs recovered the loose ball. A few plays later, Macek hit Hill for a 36-yard touchdown. Wise caught Macek's pass on the two-point attempt to put Sulphur Springs on top 14-7 midway through the second quarter.

The Red Raiders answered right back when Wallace shook off several defenders in the backfield and outraced the Sulphur Springs defense to the pylon for a 6-yard touchdown to even the game, 14-14, with 4:54 until halftime.


Sulphur Springs 35, Tyler Lee 34, OT
At TMF Rose Stadium, Tyler
Sulphur Springs           6    8    7    7    7    --   35
Tyler Lee                          7    7    7    7    6    --   34
First Quarter
LEE--Raleigh Poster 1 run (Lumi Kaba kick), 6:50.
SS--Buddy Ivery 1 run (run failed), 2:23.
Second Quarter
SS--Cole Hill 36 pass from Brad Macek (Colton Wise pass from Macek), 7:33.
LEE--LaQuintas Wallace 6 run (Kaba kick), 4:54.
Third Quarter
SS--Hill 22 pass from Macek (Tony Bravo kick), 9:06.
LEE--Poster 1 run (Kaba kick), 5:43.
Fourth Quarter
SS-Derick Ingram 5 run (Bravo kick), 10:14.
LEE--Wallace 7 run (Kaba kick), 4:51.
SS--Wise 13 pass from Macek (Bravo kick)
LEE--Wallace 22 run (run failed).

SS                   LEE
First Downs                           29                              22
Rushes-Yards               37-170                    44-228
Passing Yards                      313                           109
Comp.-Att.-Int.         30-36-1                    10-16-0
Punts-Avg.                      2-39.0                     3-50.0
Fumbles-Lost                       0-0                            2-1
Penalties-Yards                 9-83                         8-55

RUSHING--Sulphur Springs, Buddy Ivery 20-71, Willy Ivery 4-65, Derick Ingram 10-23, Brad Macek 3-11. Tyler Lee, LaQuintas Wallace 21-124, Marcus White 13-82, Bryce Wilkerson 2-19, Nicola Willis 2-15, Raleigh Poster 6-(-12).
PASSING--Sulphur Springs, Macek 21-24-0--224, Ingram 9-12-1--89. Tyler Lee, Poster 10-16-0--109.
RECEIVING--Sulphur Springs, Cole Hill 12-152, Willy Ivery 9-76, Colton Wise 5-61, Jordan Jackson 1-8, Buddy Ivery 1-7, Alex Burney 1-6, Mitchell DeYong 1-3. Tyler Lee, Marquiston Williams 4-44, Cedric Brown 2-20, White 2-13, Diondre Allen 1-29, Juwan Banks 1-3.