TCU Gives Lufkin’s Carl Williams His Third FBS Offer
Lufkin 2019 defensive tackle Carl Williams earned his first Division I FBS scholarship offer from a school belonging to a Power 5 Conference on Wednesday night.
Williams (6-3, 275) announced via Twitter that TCU has offered.
The Panthers' interior lineman was offered by both SMU and Tulsa earlier this month.
Williams and Pittsburg receiver Keontae Burns are East Texas' only prospects in the 2019 recruiting class to become targets of Power 5 (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC) programs.
As a sophomore, Williams helped guide Lufkin to a 7-4 season, which ended with a heartbreaking 50-49 loss to John Tyler in the bi-district round of the Class 6A Division II playoffs.
Williams will be a key returnee for Lufkin in 2017, along with other potential 2018 college prospects like receiver Malik Jackson, offensive linemen Joseph Bell and Hunter Hollis, receiver/defensive end Breylon Garcia, and defensive backs Savon Fields and Jeremiah Davis.
TCU dropped to a 6-6 regular season record last year from an 11-2 record in 2015, but its finish was good enough for a Liberty Bowl appearance, albeit a loss to Georgia. The Horned Frogs have an active bowl streak of three seasons and have reached a bowl game 15 times in head coach Gary Patterson’s 17 years.
Patterson owns a coaching record of 149-52 with the Horned Frogs.
Williams will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in December of 2019.
2019 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jade Ashalintubbi, Elysian Fields, OL, 6-6, 331 —offers from Tulsa, ULM (2)
- Chance Billington, John Tyler, OL, 6-4, 275 — offer from SMU (1)
- Keontae Burns, Pittsburg, WR, 6-3, 175 — offers from Iowa State, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss (4)
- Coltin Clack, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 215 — offer from Florida Atlantic, SMU (2)
- Keivie Rose, Henderson, DE, 6-4, 220 — offers from Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, SMU, Tulane (4)
- Carl Williams, Lufkin, DT, 6-3, 275 -- offers from SMU, TCU, Tulsa (3)