Ten East Texans Named to Texas Association of Basketball Coaches Girls All-State Team
Ten East Texas players were named to the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches all-state team on Tuesday.
Headlining the group was the Liberty-Eylau senior backcourt duo of Sharde Collins and Imani Wright, who led the Lady Leopards to the Class 3A Region II semifinals. Both Collins and Wright are Division I signees -- Collins with Arkansas-Little Rock and Wright with defending national champion Baylor.
Elysian Fields senior guard Kaylee Prather was the lone Class 2A representative from East Texas.
There were five girls named to the Class A Division I all-state team, including Martin's Mill's state-championship duo of senior guard Haily Jenkins and sophomore post Cheyenne Brown. Jenkins, a McNeese State signee, hit the game-winning shot in the Lady Mustangs' state-title game win over Smyer. She was named state tournament MVP after scoring 21 points in the final.
Other 1A Div. I representatives include guards Valarie Larkin and Brice Sizemore of Slocum, and Zavalla 6-4 junior post Caitlynn Lambert.
In Class A Division II, Saltillo 6-1 senior post Victoria Stretcher and Kennard senior forward Taylor Adair earned all-state recognition. Stretcher helped lead Saltillo to its first-ever state championship game appearance, and earned tournament MVP with a 22-point effort in the Lady Lions' 45-36 loss to Whitharral in the state final.
Texas Association of Basketball Coaches
Girls All-State Team
- G Sharde Collins, 5-9, Sr., Liberty-Eylau
- G Imani Wright, 5-10, Sr., Liberty-Eylau
- G Kaylee Prather, 5-7, Sr., Elysian Fields
CLASS A DIVISION I
- P Cheyenne Brown, 6-1, Soph., Martin's Mill
- G Haily Jenkins, 5-8, Sr., Martin's Mill
- P Caitlynn Lambert, 6-4, Jr., Zavalla
- G Valarie Larkin, 5-6, Jr., Slocum
- G Brice Sizemore, 5-2, Sr., Slocum
CLASS A DIVISION II
- F Taylor Adair, 5-6, Sr., Kennard
- P Victoria Stretcher, 6-1, Sr., Saltillo