Texas A&M Offers Gilmer’s Demarco Boyd
With older brother Kris Boyd scheduled to make his college commitment official Friday, one of the two schools vying for his services reached out to Demarco Boyd on Wednesday night.
Gilmer's Kris Boyd, who will be deciding between Texas and Texas A&M, tweeted the news that A&M made an offer to Demarco Boyd, a 2016 Buckeyes linebacker, the same night Aggies coach Kevin Sumlin and staff made an in-home visit.
Demarco Boyd (6-0, 215) now has has offers from four Division I FBS programs -- A&M, Baylor, Florida State and Texas.
While some may view the offer as disingenuous, especially considering the timing of the Aggies offer, Demarco Boyd is an excellent player in his own right. Demarco started on varsity as a freshman, and was the defensive anchor of the Buckeyes' undefeated 2014 Class 4A Division II state championship team.
Demarco Boyd, who was named the Defensive MVP of Gilmer's 35-25 state-title game win over West Orange-Stark on Dec. 19, finished his junior season with 100 tackles, five sacks, 14 QB pressures, six forced fumbles, and two recoveries.
He was used some on offense as well last season at running back, finishing with 260 yards and six touchdowns on 27 carries. Demarco also had nine catches for 91 yards and another score.
Gilmer used Demarco as a rushing down-lineman quite a bit, but because of his size, he mostly likely translates into an outside linebacker at the next level. Colleges may also like him at running back, especially if he gets more reps at that position in his final year of high school next fall.
Demarco Boyd is the third East Texan in the 2016 class to pick up an offer from Texas A&M. The Aggies also have offers out to Athens defensive back and A&M commit Travon Fuller as well as Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, USC, Washington State (34)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 275 – offers from Air Force, Navy (2)
- Corey Lane, S, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)