Texas A&M Offers Nacogdoches Sophomore Brandon Jones
The first offer for an East Texan in the 2016 class arrived Thursday, and it was a big one. Nacogdoches standout Brandon Jones announced on Twitter that Texas A&M offered him. The offer was first reported by GigEm247.com.
Jones has played a key role in Nacogdoches’ turnaround 2013 campaign, which has the Dragons 6-2 entering Friday night’s game at John Tyler after an 0-10 season in 2012.
The 6-foot, 185-pounder returned an interception 95 yards for a fourth-quarter, game-winning touchdown in Lufkin’s 28-24 victory against rival Lufkin on Sept. 13 to give the Dragons their first win against the Panthers since 1992.
Jones is second on the team with 67 tackles and leads Nacogdoches with three interceptions. He’s returned two punts for touchdowns and also has one rushing touchdown — a 49-yarder against Jacksonville on Oct. 11 — on his only carry of the season.
Jones is one of the headliners in what looks to be a strong 2016 East Texas class, which also includes Carthage tight end Marquise Guinn (6-4, 220), John Tyler defensive tackle Braylon Jones (6-3, 275), and Frankston receiver Kendrick Rogers (6-4, 185), among others.
Players to Watch in East Texas’ 2016 Class
- Cagan Baldree, TE/DE, Carthage, 6-3, 230
- Demarco Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 190
- Seth Brasher, WR, Bullard Brook Hill, 6-2, 175
- Marquise Guinn, TE/DE, Carthage, 6-4, 220
- Zach Hall, QB/ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-10, 155
- Brandon Jones, DB, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 185 — offer from Texas A&M
- Braylon Jones, DL, John Tyler, 6-3, 275
- Reggie King, ATH, Chapel Hill, 5-10, 180
- Keenan Madden, S, Longview, 6-1, 172
- Jarrod McLin, DE, Carthage, 6-3, 220
- Tylan Miller, RB, Longview, 5-7, 195
- Deondre Osborne, RB, Marshall, 5-10, 175
- Kendrick Rogers, ATH, Frankston, 6-4, 185
- Jon Sorey, WR, Longview, 5-11, 161
- Tavon Wesley, RB, Tyler Lee, 6-0, 180
- Jeremy West, OL, Chapel Hill, 6-4, 250