Texas Gets Commitment From Gilmer’s Demarco Boyd
Just a few hours after seeing his older brother commit to the Texas Longhorns, Gilmer 2016 linebacker Demarco Boyd followed suit.
Kris Boyd, a highly-rated 2015 cornerback, announced his commitment to Charlie Strong and Co., at 1:30 p.m. Friday. Demarco announced his pledge to Texas a little after 6:30 p.m. on his Twitter account.
Demarco Boyd (6-0, 215) picked up the Texas offer on Oct. 21 of last year, and has since pulled down invitations from Baylor, Florida State and Texas A&M. The Aggies offered the younger Boyd on Wednesday night while A&M coaches were on an in-home visit with Kris Boyd.
When the 2015 high school season begins, Demarco will bring three years of varsity experience to the field. He was the defensive anchor of the Buckeyes’ undefeated 2014 Class 4A Division II state championship team.
Demarco Boyd, who was named the Defensive MVP of Gilmer’s 35-25 state-title game win over West Orange-Stark on Dec. 19, finished his junior season with 100 tackles, five sacks, 14 QB pressures, six forced fumbles, and two recoveries.
He was used some on offense as well last season at running back, finishing with 260 yards and six touchdowns on 27 carries. Demarco also had nine catches for 91 yards and another score.
Gilmer used Demarco as a rushing down-lineman quite a bit, but because of his size, he mostly likely translates into an outside linebacker at the next level. Colleges may also like him at running back, especially if he gets more reps at that position in his final year of high school next fall.
Demarco Boyd is the second East Texas recruit in the 2016 class to commit to an FBS program, joining Athens defensive back and Texas A&M pledge Travon Fuller. Demarco is also the second 2016 player from the region to pick up an offer from Texas -- the other being Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, USC, Washington State (34)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 275 – offers from Air Force, Navy (2)
- Corey Lane, S, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)