Texas High Pits Potent Defense Against McKinney North’s High-Powered Offense
Class 4A Division I Region II
McKinney North Bulldogs (6-4)
Texas High Tigers (9-1)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Lobo Stadium, Longview
- McKinney North: Mike Fecci
- Texas High: Barry Norton
- McKinney North: won 49-37 at Denison
- Texas High: won 21-9 vs. Hallsville
- Winner faces John Tyler (7-3) or Mansfield Legacy (8-2) in a 4A Division I Region II area playoff.
- RB Ronald Jones, Jr., 6-1, 185 (187 carries, 1,954 yards, 32 TDs)
- QB Ben Dutze, Sr., 6-1, 205 (111 of 190, 1,600 yards, 13 TDs, 3 INTs; 123 carries, 481 yards, 6 TDs)
- LB Abraham Garcia, Sr., 5-10, 205 (146 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery)
- DB Nick Hutchins, Jr., 5-10, 180 (96 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 INTs, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries)
- DT Justin Madubuike, Soph., 6-3, 215 (63 tackles, 15 for loss, 4 sacks, 3 forced fumbles)
- DB Dmitri Parish, Jr., 5-10, 160 (79 tackles, 4 for loss, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries)
- DB Bryce Balous, Jr., 6-1, 185 (82 tackles, 1 fumble recovery)
- WR Tre Sanders, Sr., 6-2, 175 (30 catches, 593 yards, 3 TDs)
- WR Kervin Parks, Jr., 6-0, 170 (27 catches, 357 yards, 4 TDs)
- RB Trey Smith, Jr., 5-8, 170 (35 carries, 206 yards, 1 TD; 15 catches, 231 yards, 2 TDs)
- RB Tre Walker, Sr., 5-8, 170 (217 carries, 1,240 yards, 13 TDs)
- LB Anthony Rhone, Sr., 6-1, 210 (committed to SMU)
- QB/P Dakota Hunter, Sr., 5-11, 170
- DB Kevin Harris, Sr., 6-2, 170
- DB Marquan Daniels, Sr., 5-10, 155
- ATH Javon Thomas, Jr., 6-1, 190
- DE Wanya Jenkins, Sr., 6-3, 210
- LB Aaron Faucette, Sr., 6-1, 178
- DT Will Brown, Jr., 6-2, 276
- K Mantas Urieneizus, Jr., 5-7, 150
Just the facts
- Texas High is 1-6 in the playoffs since 2007. The Tigers' lone postseason win in that span was 22-20 vs. Jacksonville in 2009.
- The nine wins mark the first time Texas High has reached that total since 2008, when the Tigers finished 9-2 after losing 35-10 to Waco Midway in the first round.
- McKinney North averages 40.3 points per game and allows 35.3.
- Texas High averages 32.8 points per game and allows 9.8.
- McKinney North has scored at least 42 points seven times in its first 10 games.
- Texas High held seven of its first 10 opponents to single digits.
- After yielding 38 points in a one-point home loss to Tyler Lee on Sept. 21, Texas High has allowed 52 total points during a seven-game winning streak.
- Texas High has outscored its opponents 245-52 during that seven-game winning streak.
- Texas High held seven of its regular-season foes to their lowest point total or tied for their lowest point total of the 2013 campaign.
- McKinney North junior running back Ronald Jones has six 200-yard rushing games this season.
- Jones ran 24 times for a season-high 325 yards and six touchdowns in a 48-45 win against Lucas Lovejoy on Oct. 11.
- Jones averages 18.7 carries, 195.4 yards, and 3.2 touchdowns per game, along with 10.45 yards per carry.
- Jones has seven touchdown runs of greater than 50 yards. He's rushed for at least two touchdowns every game so far this season.
- Jones has scored 32 of the Bulldogs' 39 touchdowns this season.
Did you know? A win gives Texas High its first 10-win season in the last seven years, but the Tigers' fifth 10-win campaign in head coach Barry Norton's 15-year tenure in Texarkana. ... McKinney North and Texas High have no common opponents from the regular season. ... If Texas High faces John Tyler in the second round, the contest will be a rematch of the 2011 first-round contest that JT won 46-14.