Texas High Receiver Jarion Anderson Commits to Tulsa
One of East Texas' top receiving threats has made his college commitment. Texas High 2015 wideout Jarion Anderson announced on Twitter on Sunday night that he has committed to Tulsa.
Anderson (5-11, 165), who received his offer from Tulsa back on May 20, decided to pull the trigger after putting up impressive performances over the last couple of weeks at camps and combines.
At the ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine in Tyler on June 1, Anderson took home wide receiver MVP honors. He ran a laser-timed 4.66 40-yard dash at the event that featured 115 of the top East Texas prospects in the 2015 and 2016 classes.
But it was on the field during one-on-one positional drills where Anderson shined the most, consistently getting open and making catches against a fleet of talented East Texas defensive backs.
Despite the Tulsa commitment, more offers could be on the way for Anderson, who impressed at an Oklahoma State camp over the weekend and plans to make stops at other college camps over the course of the next several days.
Anderson is the 13th recruit in East Texas' 2015 class to offer a verbal commitment, which is non-binding. Commitments cannot become official until Feb. 4, 2015.
Tulsa, which will compete in the American Athletic Conference this fall after a successful run in Conference USA, will try to rebound from a disappointing 2013 season that included a 3-9 overall record.
The Golden Hurricanes finished the 2012 season with an 11-3 record, won the Conference USA title and then topped Iowa State in the Liberty Bowl to avenge an opening weekend loss against the Cyclones.
The program is headed by fourth-year head coach Bill Blankenship. Prior to joining the Golden Hurricane’s program as an assistant coach in 2007, Blankenship coached Tulsa Union High School to three Oklahoma Class 6A state championships, never missed the playoffs, amassed a 56-game home unbeaten streak and won eight consecutive district championships in his 14-year Union career.
Anderson will be a key returnee for Texas High, which went 9-2 last season with a District 14-4A championship. In addition to Anderson, the Tigers also bring back running back Javon Thomas, receiver Dale Williamson, defensive lineman William Brown and linebacker K.J. Reid.
Texas High will compete in the new District 15-5A this fall along with Greenville, Hallsville, Longview, Marshall, Mount Pleasant, Pine Tree and Sulphur Springs.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jarion Anderson, WR, Texas High, 5-9, 167 – committed to Tulsa (1)
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- William Brown, DL, Texas High, 6-3, 259 – offer from Texas State (1)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (14)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Nick Cain, ATH, John Tyler, 5-10, 165 — offer from ULM (1)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Tulsa (4)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-1, 186 – offer from ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – committed to TCU; additional offers from North Texas, Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, Tulsa, UTSA (7)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Tyrone Hunt, DE, Arp, 6-4, 230 – offer from UTSA (1)
- Marcalas Johnson, Arp, 5-10, 181 – offer from Colorado State (1)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (37)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (6)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas State, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oregon State, Texas State, ULM, UTEP, UTSA (11)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis, Texas State (3)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-2, 195 – offer from Navy, Rice, Toledo, Tulsa, ULM (5)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (6)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)